myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foil tips for beginners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westender

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seeing foilers trying the zero pump method, waiting for the magic gust to lift them. Windsurfers zipping by right and left?? I imagine they would do it if they knew how?
gregnw44

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
I'm seeing foilers trying the zero pump method, waiting for the magic gust to lift them. Windsurfers zipping by right and left?? I imagine they would do it if they knew how?

This discipline of windsurfing is very new to avg guys like me... and I'm sure there are lots like me... just trying it out / "feeling out" this new deal. It's a bit different stance and technique than typical windsurfing.
I went out for my 2nd time yesterday for a short 40 min sesh in the lake. I used the same kit, that I wrote about in this thread (a few posts ago). But this time, I had a little more wind than sesh #1 (which was 5-10)... this time I had 9-14 mph breezes. And with that wind and "that kit" I did not have to pump at all like I did the first time (only pumped a little). I tried to go straight and level, but was going faster and my control is still very bad. I only had one fall in 40 min... but more aggressive "touch-downs" than the first time cause I was foiling faster. I'm a long way from foiling across the lake... or even thinking about trying to foil a jibe. Of course, I'm a slow learner and not very coordinated.

hilton08

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: foil progression Reply with quote

In my experience, your first foil session is spent learning to get the foil to fly. This usually results in flying too high (foiling out) and splashing down.
In the second session, you start to learn to bring the foil back down (descend) before it breaches the surface. This results in what I call "wavy" flight (up and down) with frequent touch-downs.
By session three you have more control and can maintain somewhat level flight and start to relax and enjoy the sensation of longer flights.
In session four you start to think about steering the board in the air and heading upwind and downwind.
Jibing on the foil still seems a long way off.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally depends on your actual skill level.
I"ve seen a Formula racer jump onto a foil, using a borrowed Formula board, and foil at least 1 mile the very first ride.
He was using his 7 meter slalom sail in around 15-24 mph winds, and had no trouble or crash's, fully foiling both directions his first two rides and every subsequent.
He was told to only tack.
He bought a foil a few weeks later.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, thanks for your insight. I am expecting my NP Aluminum foil today and hope to have my first go at in the next few days. I have the JP 155 foil board. I hope to be as successful as you.

I am 165 lbs. and I noticed the JP 155 Foil Board is kind of like a FW board but a bit smaller, so I am hoping for the same feel as those doing it on a FW board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: