myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
should I move mast or harness lines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gorgegeezer

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2001 11:41 pm    Post subject: should I move mast or harness lines Reply with quote

Over the years, I have left my mast base in about the same position, slightly aft of the middle. I have adjusted my harness lines for the various sail sizes. I have marked the spot that worked best for each size of sail. This has proven to be about 1per on the boom per 1/2 meter of sail. It finally dawned on me I probably should have left the harness lines in one place and moved the mast base. It was easier to move the harness lines. Anybody have info on this?
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2001 11:34 am    Post subject: RE: should I move mast or harness lines Reply with quote

Our harness line placement is a function of the sails center of effort (COE), independent of mast base placement. The harness line attachments should straddle the COE so neither arm has to do any work except in a jibe.

THEN we place the mast base wherever works best on our board in the conditions present.

Mike \m/
spyder

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2001 12:42 pm    Post subject: RE: should I move mast or harness lines Reply with quote

Mike \m/s answer is right on, just to add a bit extra to explain -

the COE is found by grabbing the boom with one hand and sheeting the sail in. When you find that spot on the boom that balances the rig, thats the COE. Place your harness lines around your fist at that point. Now you can hook in and the sail will be balanced.

With the placement of the mast base in the track, it depends on the size of sail, and the type of sailing; Slalom/B&J/Wave. In Slalom, you tend to rake the sail back, in B&J/Wave the sail is a more upright.

The best place to put the mast base, is to decide the stance when you are in the harness, then draw a line from the COE down to the foot of the sail (at that angle), and the distance from that point to the mast extension, will be placed on the board about midway between the front & back footstraps and the mast track setting. confusing?

all you are doing is putting the COE right smack in the middle of the footstraps when you are in a relaxed stance in the harness.
1aloop

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2001 5:24 am    Post subject: RE: should I move mast or harness lines Reply with quote

I would also add, that the center of effort in your sail will change with more or less downhaul or outhaul
jam-1

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2001 6:28 pm    Post subject: RE: should I move mast or harness lines Reply with quote

I have also found that I have moved the mast back the smaller the sail is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: