myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foiling advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stringp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So 2 to 2.5 less. For Friday's east winds I went out on a 4.7 on Dale's advice and ended up doing the walk of shame after an hour or so. Tried again on a 5.1 and did the one reach WOS. I'm trying to make something work from an old Seatrend. Tony Logoz was at the beach and said I needed to move the distance from the front mast bolt to universal to the magic 43". Then I could generate more speed and drive the thing upwind without over foiling. Even at that I don't think I could make a 5.1 work which would be a 7.1 to 7.6 equivalent. Going to have to take the damn footstraps all off and get a pair of tennis shoes. Inches seem to make all the difference.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

East winds bump up the sail size, and use the bigger wing, if you have it. River is going with the wind, subtracting a few knots. Just like in windsurfing, if it's east wind, you need at least a full meter bigger sail, at any sailing site, compared to W winds. Don't want to waste upwind by pumping downwind to get into a plane then a foil.
And remember, Dale and Bruce are pro level windsurfer's, so they can use a smaller sail than you, even if they weigh more than you. Their pumping technique is outstanding, is yours?
stringp

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea how to pump it onto a plane unless there is an enabling gust. How would one pump it from a slog to foiling without having Super Human strength.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should read the thread on pumping, in the top section of the forums.
Learn to pump, it's good for at least 3 miles per hour of wind when you're slogging, and it can also dump a few MPH wind when you're overpowered and trying to jibe.
Especially for foil riding, its vital so you don' sail around overpowered when foiling, and so you can pump onto a plane, then foil, about the same time that the pros are doing, which is what the advertisement's keep talking about.
Of course, it's part of technique improvement, so a worthwhile endeavor.
hilton08

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailworksman wrote:
For foiling, rig a sail 2.0 ~ 2.5 mē smaller than what is being used for powered up planing windsurfing.

/Bruce

Bruce,

What sizes will you be offering in the new flyer sail?
And what is the ideal wind range on the LP foil?
It seems to work well with 5-6m sails in 15-25mph winds.
Would you want a smaller wing for stronger winds/smaller sails and a larger wing for big sails in light wind or is it more about your board speed?
westender

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Fri. one of the Pro's was foiling within minutes on the LP and working on jibes a few laps later. Tony suggested using whatever sail you needed to power up onto the foil when you are first learning if you can't make the pumping thing work. Sailworks has a demo board and foil, use your rig StringP.
sailworksman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hilton08 wrote:

What sizes will you be offering in the new flyer sail?
And what is the ideal wind range on the LP foil?
It seems to work well with 5-6m sails in 15-25mph winds.
Would you want a smaller wing for stronger winds/smaller sails and a larger wing for big sails in light wind or is it more about your board speed?

The FLYER foil sails exist in 7.0, 6.0 and 5.2 sizes right now, with a 4.4 about to hatch. All are 4-batten, twin cam layouts. They are much softer in overall rig tension, with cambered batten structures, but with super easy low-tension rotation, and a tighter leech for good pumping response. A windsurfer on foils is very efficient, so there's very little induced wind load onto the sail. Camless sails on the foil don't always fill out to max depth, which is why the cambers are so beneficial. We basically married the cam structure of our race sail in a narrow sleeve, with our softest 4 batten wave sail. Its a unique geometric combination, that's exceptionally optimized for foiling.

The LP foil is usable from 8-28 mph winds. The 8 mph end takes a fat board and big sail and some pumping technique to initiate take-off, and 28 mph end takes a smaller sail and some experience to hold down. The LP is a really good performance freeride foil. Its lighter, stiffer and faster than a Slingshot, Pryde, Manta or other aluminum foils. The carbon racing foils made F4, Pryde, Starboard, AFS, are all faster in top speed but have commensurate higher minimum take-off speeds that require bigger sails.

On the LP standard wing, things start to get lively in the low 20's wind speed and you need to be proficient with your down trim. Top speed on the big LP foil is in 26 mph range. They have a smaller wing from their kite program that is proving to be a very functional high windfoil wing that tops out in the low 30s. I haven't tried it yet, but its in my van - maybe this week. LP does have very a cool shim system on all their stabilizer wings to vary angle differential between the front and rear wings from 1.5 to over 5.0 degrees. More shim puts more down force on the stabilizer, which makes the front lifting wing more powerful. It floats more for light winds, but is draggier at speed. Less stabilizer shim is leaner, faster and less front foot heavy, but harder to get and stay up at lower speeds.

What ever you ride, foiling is a very exciting development for windsurfing, especially in the 10-20 mph range. We are captivated by the performance potential and efficiencies.

/Bruce
stringp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it's captivating, in an ass kicking way. I appreciate the developments in the technology. The $$$ can really be prohibitive.
Tally:
LP foil, 2000
Board, 2000 if you can buy one
Sails, not sure what Sailworks charges but let's say 700 each. Need 2 1400
So, 5400 to get started with a dialed setup.
Unless you're an anesthesiologist that's a lot. Which leads one to McGyvering with old stuff.
Seatrend deep Tuttle, garage
Northwave surflites, garage
Slingshot foil 1000.
Problem is there is no manual for mast track, footstraps, harness lines, boom height, sail size. Which leads to ass kicking.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you start at the leading edge, there is no manual.
The fun is the discovery, but trial and error.
I was involved in the longboard to shortboard revolution, surfing in the mid 60's thru 80's, working at a surf shop most of the time. Went thru all the different designs, from twins to quads, bunker's to guns, and everything in between.
I was involved in the motocross suspension revolution, from '73 thru '83, when suspensions went from 4" to 13", which is current.
I was skiing first when skis for my size was standard at 207cms, now around 160cms.
If you need a manual, wait for evolution to slow down, then get on the bandwagon.
But to answer your question, you have not provide WHAT Seatrend you have, but assuming narrow at under 70 cm, you are in for a somewhat tough ride.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"m not being a jerk, although rereading my post, it appear's so.
You have not provided info on specific windspeeds, which is key to the whole setup, or your body weight, or your skill level in windsurfing.
Basically, you want to pump the board onto a plane, then shift weight slightly to backfoot, to foil and release the board. Any more power from the sail, and you will have a hard time maintaining a foil.
There is little load on the hands when up and foiling, so longer lines are generally used so you can sheet in and out depending on the power of the sail for the wind conditions. Since you foil with little load, you can lower your booms to shoulder level when foiling, or about upper chest when slogging, much lower than for windsurfing.
Mast track usually back from windsurfing setup, some guys set the back straps forward, but that depends on where your finbox is located besides the location of your straps, your body weight, and your rig setup.
Just too many depends, and you did not provide specific info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: