myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Broken 430 = 400 mast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jada

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2001 9:19 pm    Post subject: Broken 430 = 400 mast Reply with quote

Ok. Tell me the problems. My Fiberspar 430/21 went for a land ride without me and smacked up the very bottom. I cut it off real clean with a fine hacksaw and sanded the edge smooth. It measures 400 now. I can still get the boom on the reinforced area with about 5 inches of extension on the bottom for my 4.5. Am I asking for trouble? Or did I just get a 400 cm mast that wil work.
spyder

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2001 1:10 am    Post subject: RE: Broken 430 = 400 mast Reply with quote

yep thatll work just fine.
shredlock4

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2001 10:29 am    Post subject: RE: Broken 430 = 400 mast Reply with quote

i would say it depends on your mast. is it 100% carbon or it is a wave mast? on such a land impact, a high percentage carbon mast will likely to get some internal cracks which will be more prone to failure later. stresses like that is invisible.

I would advice you to be cautious on where you use the mast. If your life is depending on it, i wouldnt do it.
spyder

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2001 1:44 pm    Post subject: RE: Broken 430 = 400 mast Reply with quote

your advice is very good, and what you say is true. but, masts break, and even if you think you have a good mast it still may fail (new/used).

I have been able to save some mast tops/bottoms in this way, however, I am not sure I trust them as much, because of what you mentioned.
jada

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2001 6:52 pm    Post subject: RE: Broken 430 = 400 mast Reply with quote

The mast is lower carbon content - 20%. I reinforced the very bottom with a layer of fiberglass. Prolly use it for lake sailing - if it breaks I swim.
gemoore

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 5:48 pm    Post subject: RE: Broken 430 = 400 mast Reply with quote

I have done this, have also repaired a boom crack, and have lengthened the ferrule to a base that split the top section. All these fixes have been highly reliable (to my surprise). The main problem you will have with shortening a mast is that the IMCS wont match many sails...it will be too stiff for the smaller sails. So you can use it as a back up, or for really overpowered conditions where you want a stiffer mast. Also, that size would be OK for a beginner sail. So you saved a mast, but its not as good a deal as youd hoped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: