myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SF bay board for wind and slog

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmanex

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2001 8:30 pm    Post subject: SF bay board for wind and slog Reply with quote

Can you recommend a board for sailing SF bay in the typical 15-25 mph conditions that will not get out of control but might still allow me to slog back in in marginal conditions? I have a Bic Veloce 298 (137 ltr) that is fine in light wind but out of control above about 18mph. I also have an F2 Axxis 268 (89 ltr) that is fine in high wind but totally dies in a slog. I weigh 165.
kencarp

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2001 1:09 am    Post subject: RE: SF bay board for wind and slog Reply with quote

Ive found the F2 Air to be one of the funnest boards Ive ridden in quite awhile. It has plenty of float (95l) but jumps and jybes unreal.Tricks are real easy to perform in light wind, but is also fun up to around 28mph. Then around 30mph Id go smaller,(to around75-80l).When the wind fully dies you can still limp home and you can uphaul this board if you have to. I weigh around 165 and am fully dialed when riding this board in 15-25mph. I also sail the Air 265 for those days when its 8-15mph. Happy sailing.. K.P.
madmanex

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2001 9:33 am    Post subject: RE: SF bay board for wind and slog Reply with quote

Thanks KP. Im assuming you mean the F2 Air 260 (86) at 95 liters. I sailed the F2 Air 265 at Vela in Baja and found it to be a little too big for winds over about 5.8m conditions. But it sounds as though the 260 would be right at home in these conditions.
-Sail on
mAdMaN
jam-1

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2001 6:37 pm    Post subject: RE: SF bay board for wind and slog Reply with quote

I agree, go with a freestyle board that is short (85) but wide. The wide tail will get you planing early, but the soft rails and rocker should keep you under control when it picks up. Beyond that, you can play with the fins too. I have a Kinetic El Nino 57 that works pretty well. I sail it with a 6.1 wave sail all the time in lighter conditions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: