myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Who runs 10-12m sails?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
great pics.

i see you've raised your boom height since last year.

LOL - Boom height doesn't matter when you sail "no hands" ha ha Smile

Seriously... I just clamp my boom on, where I think it's close enough to "correct". I don't really worry about it, and it's not unusual for me to move it up or down an inch or two, one time per session.
I have tons of sails, and the "boom cut-outs" are all over the place from brand to brand. And I'm tall, so on many sails I can't get the boom high enough... so I've gotten used to sailing with low and high booms. I also move the sail "up the mast" with more mast extension on some sails, so I can get the boom a bit higher. (I don't worry about a big gap between the sail and the extension cleat.)
I'm not concerned about inches here or there, and having things perfect, a couple cm's this way or that makes no difference to me. That being said, I do know what a well rigged sail looks like, and what it should do on the water, and how I want it to handle... but if it's "close" then it's good enough for me Smile

dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I"m glad that works for you.
Not for me though. I actually tape measure my boom height with every sail I use, which number's well over 20 a year, use different heights depending on which of the 10 boards I rotate thru, and need them to be within an inch for maximum performance.
Sure, I can sail back and forth with the boom at the top, or at the bottom of the cutout, but that equates to "minimum" performance.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the title of this thread is, who is using 10-12m sail sizes. I've replied... because me, and lots of other people here, use them. But we're using them in flat-water and light wind (1-12 mph stuff). And I'm trying to promote the fun in this sport... and not make it more technical than it has to be.
For people only concerned with hi-performance all the time, small difference might matter... and for high wind, small adjustments can make a difference. And experts will figure out what works for them.
But it cracks me up, when I see sailors here, worrying about if they should use a grommet at the tack of their sail, or a pulley... because that will make their sail sit 2 cm higher or lower on the mast. And all the time wasted thinking about it and writing about it...
So yes, I often take a more casual tone here... letting people know they don't always shave to worry about some details.
Anyway for me if I'm using BIG sails in light wind, in flat water... the only thing really important about boom height, is that my harness lines are right. I often move the boom and the harness lines, cause I do want it to be easy. I want my harness balanced.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: