myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 182, 183, 184 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bert

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Tigers on Tuesday Reply with quote

Light wind at Oysters and 14-17 at Tigers at the far end beyond the point. When I did plane (50%), I pointed high and tacked so as to not lose ground in the offshore wind. Sailed for an hour at Tigers. Getting back to the launch at Oysters is always an adventure because of the light, squirrely winds caused by Genentech and the other tall biotech buildings that populate the point as shown in this photo.

To Tigers.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.47 MB
 Viewed:  13515 Time(s)

To Tigers.jpg

dvCali

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject: #35 Stick on Wed Reply with quote

The stick delivers with solid 5.8/CA Slalom 52 conditions that by 4pm mutate into 4.3 powered up conditions. I soldier on in a great high wind slalom day.

I finally got the Point-7 RDM masts (400 and 430) and the ACX 5.8 works even better with the correct mast. It gets a nice bigger camber in front, the top opens up much more smoothly and the sail is overall much more composed when overpowered. No more collapsing in front, nor any hint of getting back winded: it just pulls forward slippery as a race sail can be. Lovely Very Happy It is fast and you can pull some incredible jibes with it!

Last edited by dvCali on Thu May 18, 2017 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: #36 Stick on Thu Reply with quote

I check Crissy but the wind looks very outside and so I slog to Stick ... that delivers again. Less windy than yesterday, but I take 5.0 an RRD 85 to relax a bit after yesterday overpowered speed runs.

Kind of uneventful (besides Bob's son hitting my helmeted head with his mast) ... I do miss Crissy or Coyote or TI when B&J.

But sunny, blue and ... WINDY! Very Happy

Last edited by dvCali on Fri May 19, 2017 11:39 am; edited 2 times in total
windward1

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Natural Bridges -5-18-2015 Reply with quote

Well the last few times rigging, I have rigged the wrong sizes for the wind (which was changing as I rigged). Three times too big and was overpowered. One time too small and underpowered.

What is it with Mother Nature. Isn't she supposed to be a deity level persona? Can't she see what I am rigging and dial in the wind to the correct velocity?

I used to be the one who was correctly rigged for the conditions. Must be losing my touch. And wave selection is another thing that has been suffering of late.....
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: #37 Stick on Fri Reply with quote

What is this: a Stick feast? Another day in very powered up conditions. But I used 3 boards: the new Fanatic Blast 100, courtesy of Kevin, and my Patrik 100 and CA Slalom 52.

The Fanatic Blast 100 is very nice, innovative shape with the wide tail, truncated nose and very parallel rails, but it glides beautifully and jibes like it's on rails. http://www.fanatic.com/product/blast/#productDetailsTabs2 Seems quite fast, hard to judge without a GPS, and goes through chop with ease ... it seems a great freeride board.

The Patrik 100 does the Patrik thing: so powerful and fast, and hard to jibe unless you pull in a perfect racing step jibe. It is a board with PWA winning potential ... I am sure I do not even scratch its performance surface ...

And the CA 52: which I nickname the wasp. It is 52 cm wide, it is FAST and it jibes like a water sky. The Point-7 ACX 5.8 resurrected it, the board really like that sail, and it is right now my favorite slalom board ... although it catches in chop Shocked

There you have it 10 years+ of shape development in three boards! Very Happy

CA 52.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  111.9 KB
 Viewed:  13119 Time(s)

CA 52.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  469.51 KB
 Viewed:  13119 Time(s)

IMG_0036.jpg

Studio_BlastTXTR_KlaasVoget-269A8679.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  249.86 KB
 Viewed:  13159 Time(s)

Studio_BlastTXTR_KlaasVoget-269A8679.jpg

bert

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Coyote on Saturday Reply with quote

Coyote on Saturday was warm with wind less than 10 on the inside and 15 on the outside at the start of flood tide when I headed out at after 3 pm. Like an old plumber I have all the tools to do the job. 8.2 Avanti Condor and the JP SLW got me planing and powered quickly and efficiently. When your kit is tuned right it doesn't feel cumbersome., despite the large size. Probably be the same conditions tomorrow. I've noticed that more and more kiters on foils come to Coyote these days,..so far it's been a mellow coexistence.

Sunday-same setup as yesterday but with different results as the wind picked up to 18-20 above the airport at 3 pm. The JP SuperLight with the big sail/big fin works best when the wind is 11-15 but becomes a handful when the wind picks up beyond that range. That's why the board is popular in places like San Diego/Miami.

JPSLW (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.93 MB
 Viewed:  12865 Time(s)

JPSLW (2).jpg

Last edited by bert on Mon May 22, 2017 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
windward1

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Mitchell's Cove 05-21-2017 Reply with quote

Well Natural Bridges Parking Lot was full when I got there so looked for where else I could launch. A car happened to pull out at Mitchell's Cove so I pulled in. Not as much wind as up the coast at Natural Bridges, but I had loaded the van with a lot of options. Took the Angulo 10'10" Sail/SUP and the Ezzy 7.0 and rigged them on the iceplant. Carried each individually down a path that let me lower them down to the beach over the rocks. Scrambled down the rocks and assembled at the water's edge. Only 5 knots inside, but blowing in the high teens outside.
The water was beautiful. Fog out about 1/4 to 1/2 mile varying that distance as it alternately moved in and out. Yachts racing to the windward mark off of Natural Bridges would appear in the fog edge like ghosts.
Sailed out. Everything seemed to be working well and so after one tack on each side, turned and went downwind. Sailed to off of Its Beach. A little swell to play on there and so did. A rock protruded up that I had not remembered. Note to self: Remember that rock as any tide higher than what it was (2'), the only thing going to see that rock was a fin.
Sailed out and around Seal Rock as the sailboat race was in progress on another windward leg and came in by the outside of Steamer's Lane. Caught a swell shoulder and rode it in towards Indicators. Wind lightened up and so continued sailing into Cowell's and glided by the multitude of surfers waiting for surf. Then over to the Santa Cruz Wharf and went by anchored sailboats and a fishing boat coming in to anchor. Then back out and watched the racing sail boats on their return leg of the race under spinnakers. Then back into Steamers and to near Indicators and back out. Then sailed upwind to the swell coming in at Its. Played there awhile before heading back to Mitchell's Cove. Could see the fog was rolling in to shore at Aptos and it would not be that long before it surged landward everywhere. What a beautiful day. So nice to be out cruising windsurfing.
W1
Goodwind

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warm sun and steady wind this Sunday made for a great day of sailing at the Stick. Some 20 people showed up using 4.0 to 5.5, with smiling faces all around afterward. My son sailed 3 plus hours straight, kinda made me envy of his youthful energy.
windward1

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Steamers Lane 05-21-2017 Reply with quote

Screen Capture from Yesterday:

[img][/img]

05-21-2017 Steamers Lane 01.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.06 MB
 Viewed:  12868 Time(s)

05-21-2017 Steamers Lane 01.png

bert

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Stick on Monday Reply with quote

I tend to go to the Stick on Mondays for some odd reason. Out on the water at 1 pm on a 5.0 Volt/101 Fanatic freestyle and was planing 80% of the time. Worked primarily on transition moves. This board is used only at the Stick, Haskins, and sometimes at Palo Alto..all flat water spots.

Stick freestyle on Monday.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.58 MB
 Viewed:  12817 Time(s)

Stick freestyle on Monday.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 182, 183, 184 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 183 of 329

Jump to: