myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Information about Pamlico Sound
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ephilipblack

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Information about Pamlico Sound Reply with quote

Planning to visit friends in Outer Banks N.C. end of month, early June. Have zero knowledge of the area. Would like to windsurf while there (Pamlico Sound) Won't be sailing in the ocean. Need help with logistics; where to stay, where to rent equipment, Car? Also, am prone to heat rashes in humid conditions. Any information about temperatures; water, air and humidity this time of year would be greatly appreciated. Years of sailing experience in SF Bay and Sherman Island, Ca.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there are folks here that can provide more detailed info than me, but none have responded yet, so here goes. I've sailed in the OBX a half dozen or so times. As far as I know, the majority of windsurfing is done on the South portion of the island with the popular sound side launces being in the towns ranging from Rodanthe to Hatteras with the Canadian Hole being the most popular launch. You definitely need a car to get around since it is several miles between each of the towns (I have no idea about car rentals). That is, unless you rent a house with sound side access, in which case you can leave your gear rigged and sail out of your back yard. Many of the houses down there are huge and set up for multi-family rentals with tons of bed rooms, large kitchens, hot tubs, pools, etc.

There is not a lot of night life or really much of any recreational activities down there other than windsurfing, kiting, fishing, surfing, and general hanging out on the beach. There are a couple windsurfing shops a super market, couple restaurants, etc. For someone coming from a highly populated area, it will probably seem fairly desolate.

The shops down there rent gear, so I would just look around and call them up to find out rates. If you bring your own gear, plan on bringing everything, including a weed fin. You definitely need a weed fin for sailing in the sound. End of May/early June I imagine they will start to see 80 degree days fairly regularly and the sound should warm up quickly since it is quite shallow. The sound is at most about chest deep for a mile or two out so it is all flat water sailing / bump & jump. Once you get out to what is know as "the reef" it drops off and the water is deeper.

The winds on the island that time of year are primarily frontally driven. Ahead of a cold front, you will get S or S/W winds which tend to be very steady and increasing through the day. These are the winds everyone gets excited about because they are generally associated with warm weather and tend to be very consistent. After the front passes, you will tend to see W or N/W winds which are accompanied by cooler temperatures and which are gusty. N/E winds can also happen, but they tend to be much less frequent this time of year. They can be very strong and are usually accompanied by lot's of clouds and rain.

Hope this helps a little.

sm
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately I have only been there once - MAY 2015
once you go, you wanna go back !! and stay longer than one week !!

http://joewindsurfer.blogspot.ca/2015/05/joe-windsurfer-first-visit-finally-to.html

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32503

Already replied to the above thread.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
rollerrider

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water temp in the sound is warm. Haven't used a wetsuit in a month. Starting to get hot there and humidity is worse in the morning before it burns off. 70 to 80 degrees. Not bad though not like Florida. Avon is best with windsurfing in the Haul Over day use area or Canadian Hole as most people call it. This spot has parking at the waterfront and restrooms and showers. Two shops in Avon rent gear, Ocean Air and Ride Hatteras. Ocean air also has rooms for rent and onsite water access. Wind will be good and it can last for days but also be light for days so it can be hit or miss like anywhere else if you only go for a week. Paddle boarding is a great no wind option and good surfing too. If you are visiting friends there hopefully they are near Avon cause OBX stretches for many miles. You need a car. I think shops also have strap on roof racks. If you fly Raleigh is cheapest but its about a 5 hour drive to Avon. Norfolk airport is about 2 3/4 hr drive to Avon.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn Patrol, 7am, temp 61. Wind North at 15-22kts, today.

Think a wetsuit would be highly advised.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
rollerrider

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn patrol? 7 am? Yeah you might need a wet suit. You would need one at night too.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had better find a place to stay quick if you want a sound side water front house. Availability is waning and costs are rising (seasonal). Cheaper if you find a house that's not water front, but then you have to drive to a sailing site (Canadian hole in Avon, or Salvo Day Use Area in Salvo). Very few motels.

I was there last week and it was chilly (full suit) a few days and a shorty a few days. Saw a couple of kiters with only a bathing suit, but that would have been too cold for me. 5 days with 7.6 or better wind, but some of that was only for a short time (hour or two a day).
HatterasFever

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: time to get out your small crafts Reply with quote

time to get out your small crafts

Small Craft Advisory in effect from 11 am EDT this morning through Friday evening
S Of Cape Hatteras To Ocracoke Inlet Nc Out 20 Nm
Including The Monitor National Marine Sanctuary-
Today

SW winds 10 to 15 kt, increasing to 20 to 25 kt. Seas 3 to 5 ft, building to 5 to 8 ft this afternoon. Dominant period 6 seconds. Showers. A chance of tstms this afternoon.
Tonight

SW winds 20 to 25 kt. Seas 6 to 9 ft. Dominant period 7 seconds. Showers with a chance of tstms in the evening, then showers likely after midnight.
Wed

W winds 20 to 25 kt, becoming S 5 to 10 kt in the afternoon. Seas 6 to 9 ft, subsiding to 4 to 6 ft in the afternoon. Dominant period 8 seconds. Showers likely with a slight chance of tstms in the morning, then showers likely with a chance of tstms in the afternoon.
Wed Night

S winds 20 to 25 kt, becoming SW 25 to 30 kt after midnight. Seas 5 to 7 ft, building to 8 to 11 ft after midnight. Dominant period 8 seconds. Showers with a chance of tstms.
Thu

SW winds 25 to 30 kt, diminishing to 20 to 25 kt in the afternoon. Seas 9 to 12 ft, subsiding to 8 to 10 ft in the afternoon. Showers with a chance of tstms in the morning, then showers likely with a slight chance of tstms in the afternoon.
Thu Night

W winds 20 to 25 kt. Seas 7 to 10 ft. Showers likely, mainly in the evening.
Fri

W winds 20 to 25 kt, diminishing to 10 to 15 kt. Seas 5 to 8 ft, subsiding to 4 to 6 ft.

hole3-6-04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.5 KB
 Viewed:  24091 Time(s)

hole3-6-04.jpg

RickCronk

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Information about Pamlico Sound Reply with quote

ephilipblack wrote:
Planning to visit friends in Outer Banks N.C. end of month, early June.

Info may be influenced by where on the Outer Banks you'll be visiting. Each community is a bit different than the next. As mentioned, the most popular windsurfing venues are located mid Banks Avon to Frisco. Though Rodanthe, Waves and Salvo offer good conditions and amenities as well.
Nags Head and points north see strong SW thermals, but are the villages there are more commercial, hectic, crowded and have fewer sound front sailing venues and no windsurfing rentals that I know of.

Preferred "sound front" rentals get a little cheaper as you continue south rather than in Avon. "Sound side" rentals are the cheapest vs Sound Front, "Ocean side" or "Ocean Front"There are a few motels in Avon, and Buxton if you should be traveling solo or small family vs covering the cost of an entire house rental. Ocean Air in Avon, is as close to a one stop windsurfing shop as you'll ever need, sales, rentals, instruction, info etc..

I just got back from my 56th trip to the Banks last week, and it hasn't gotten old yet.

Enjoy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: