myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Chinook Universal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtz

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Chinook Universal Reply with quote

It was loose out of the box and became excessively loose and unacceptable.

Took it apart. Red loctite was still gooey and apparently never cured or set up. I always wondered why the universal always smelled like Loctite.

Works like it should now. Smooth and no play or wobble.

If your universal is very loose; take out the tendon cross bolts and pull the tendon so you can get at the Allen head bolts and just snug down what you have and you won't need to deal with the Loctite.

Also the internal Allen bolts appear to be some oddball size. I used a 5mm and it was loose and I couldn't find any English/standard size that fit better. The cross bolts are 4mm and the fasteners are 1/2". Maybe truly 13mm(I was too immersed to get a metric socket and the 1/2" seemed to fit real well).

Take off the hand tightening plate to get at the hidden square fastener.

If this ever loosens up again I'll report back here.

And yes; it appears if the tendon ever breaks; the top half of the universal would likely damage the board. Those safety straps just keep the rig attached to the board and not also keep from damaging the deck.

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Chinook Universal Reply with quote

You might consider reapplying the Loctite. Maybe use blue 242, but the red
should have been a good choice.

-Craig

p.s. Since it was right out of the box this way, I probably would have exchanged it for another. Chinook and it's distributers are very good about that.

rtz wrote:
It was loose out of the box and became excessively loose and unacceptable.

Took it apart. Red loctite was still gooey and apparently never cured or set up. I always wondered why the universal always smelled like Loctite.

bred2shred

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely wouldn't sail any U-joint that doesn't have loctite on the threads. If those fasteners come apart, you're going to be in for a potentially long swim. Not to mention the several thousand bucks to replace the lost board and rig.

When you say the loctite was "gooey," are you refering to excess loctite on the outside of the bolt, or the loctite on the actual threads? Loctite cures in the absence of air, so I could see there being uncured loctitie on the outside of the bolt, but the stuff on the threads should have been solidified. I guess it's possible they got a bad batch of loctite or didn't shake up the bottle before using. In any case, I would definitely clean the threads and recoat with thread locker before sailing.

sm
pete1111

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://chinooksailing.com/index.php/windsurf/bases/euro-pin/1-bolt-tendon-mast-base-euro-pin-ex.html
get one of these and just swap out the tendon every year. Had mine now for 8+ years and now problem. You can get a us pin adapter if you need .
rtz

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked with loctite in the past and I don't recall it never drying up. It was dry on the threads and not every where else.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Loctite 271 Tech Data Sheet:

Quote:
Loctite Threadlocker Red 271 is designed for the permanent locking and sealing of threaded fasteners. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration. It is only removable once cured by heating up parts to 500°F (260°C).

Cures in the absence of air - i.e., the space between the threads. If the material between the threads was hardened, then it was fine. Sounds like worrying about nothing....

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: