myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Boom question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Boom question Reply with quote

What are these ridges for on the end of the boom;

photoupload
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are called "Speed Ridges"... first theorized by an aeronautics engineer in the 70's. And now windsurfers going for records at the Speed Challenge in Luderitz, Nambimia have started using them on the front of their boom. The idea is that the ridges will "turbo-charge" the air flowing past the leading edge of the sail which will give you more power. Supposedly they even out wind that's very gusty, they can reduce the highest gusts by up to 25% and increase the lulls by 60%... so you have a net gain in power... and, smoother wind, which helps in all maneuvers.

The idea is trickling into recreational gear, and regular sailors are hoping for the same benefit. They are said to help people of all abilities improve faster, and reduce some of the frustrations.
* Help you learn waterstarts faster, cause they give your sail more power.
* Sail longer with less arm strain, cause they smooth out gusts and lulls.
* Reduce catapults.
* Increase speed to surprise your friends.

Let us know how you're doing with them!!
Greg Smile

ss59

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregnw44 wrote:
Those are called "Speed Ridges"... first theorized by an aeronautics engineer in the 70's. And now windsurfers going for records at the Speed Challenge in Luderitz, Nambimia have started using them on the front of their boom. The idea is that the ridges will "turbo-charge" the air flowing past the leading edge of the sail which will give you more power. Supposedly they even out wind that's very gusty, they can reduce the highest gusts by up to 25% and increase the lulls by 60%... so you have a net gain in power... and, smoother wind, which helps in all maneuvers.

The idea is trickling into recreational gear, and regular sailors are hoping for the same benefit. They are said to help people of all abilities improve faster, and reduce some of the frustrations.
* Help you learn waterstarts faster, cause they give your sail more power.
* Sail longer with less arm strain, cause they smooth out gusts and lulls.
* Reduce catapults.
* Increase speed to surprise your friends.

Let us know how you're doing with them!!
Greg Smile

I've just noticed my Severne boom has 'speed ridges' that go the opposite way, is that because it was designed to be used in the Southern Hemisphere?

Shocked Very Happy
Arrgh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there somewhere I can get stick-on speed ridges for my existing booms? Shocked
montignp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonic BOOM!!!

gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ss59 - You have a good guess about the Speed Ridges running the opposite direction on the Severne boom... that these ridges might work better in the S. hemisphere. But actually no, that's not the case. As you know Luderitz "is in the S. hemisphere"... so the original Speed Ridges have been tested most extensively there.
But I read somewhere that Severne is doing Speed Ridges in the opposite direction, to try and gain the same advantages while on port tack. This issue didn't originally manifest at the Luderitz Speed Challenge, because ALL speed sailing there is on starboard tack. But I heard that sailors didn't get quite as much benefit on port tack maneuvers and straight line speed in other places, as when they're were on starboard tack. So... good for Severne to push the envelope, and continue to strive for new performance !!!
Greg Smile

gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennis_c wrote:
Is there somewhere I can get stick-on speed ridges for my existing booms? Shocked

Dennis, THIS is a great idea... and no, I'm not aware of after-market "Speed Ridges" yet. Maybe someone here should invest big $ and develop these. I know myself and many others who would love to upgrade our existing booms!!
Greg -

gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtz - Sorry for the silly and sarcastic replies... I don't usually do that... was just trying to be funny, LOL

Those are hard plastic ridges, on the front of that boom clamp... and they aren't for anything important.

Probably just a "look" or cosmetic detail, the boom designer was going for. They do form a kinda blunt smooth surface on the front of that boom clamp. And that might reduce damage to board's bow, if you get catapulted hard forward. Getting catapulted is a "thing" that will happen from time to time when sailing in very gusty conditions... and when learning and trying new moves. And damage often occurs to the bow, on fragile windsurf boards, when the rig catapults forward. A sharp boom front end, will increase the chance of damage. A blunt front end might reduce this somewhat.
I'm just guessing here, regarding this front end design.
Anyway, those ridges are not for anything important, for you, as you're learning how to sail.

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hook, line, and sinker.

Good one, Greg. I was just about ready to drag out my BS detector. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: