myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
carbon%: the more the better...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schakleton

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2001 5:54 pm    Post subject: carbon%: the more the better...? Reply with quote

Hi,

I found a xcellerator 80 mast (80% carbon) for the same price as a NP Freeride pro ( 55% carbon). Would it be better to choose the highest carbon percentage possible or the sails recommended mast ( neil pryde, in my case)?
spyder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2001 1:30 pm    Post subject: RE: carbon%: the more the better...? Reply with quote

generally the more carbon content is less weight. more carbon is supposed to be stronger, depends how they are made.

typically, masts around 50-60% carbon are a good choice.

the main thing is to get the right stiffness for your sails, check the IMCS against the recommended IMCS for the sail.
schakleton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2001 9:18 pm    Post subject: RE: carbon%: the more the better...? Reply with quote

Hi Spyder,

More carbon is supposed to be stronger? I believe you mean the opposite, right?
...if so, do you think it may be too fragile (80%)?

(Ive checked out the IMCS and both are the recommended 21)

Thanks
spyder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2001 1:07 am    Post subject: RE: carbon%: the more the better...? Reply with quote

you are right, more carbon is lighter and stiffer, but is less strong.
berky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2001 2:46 pm    Post subject: RE: carbon%: the more the better...? Reply with quote

More carbon creates a lighter, faster mast. Meaning it has a decreased moment, the time it takes to go from center to flexed and back to center, aka; reflex or response time.
Go for high content carbon for race and slalom and less carbon the closer you get to waves...
schakleton

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2001 11:31 pm    Post subject: RE: carbon%: the more the better...? Reply with quote

Well, I dont really intend to get close to the waves...but as a beginner, I fall a lot so im afraid to break it (wonder if a high content carbon would be a good choice at the moment)

Thank you
tjmiller76

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2001 9:45 pm    Post subject: RE: carbon%: the more the better...? Reply with quote

I recently upgraded from a 30% to 90% carbon mast, and the biggest benefit that Ive seen is the lighter weight makes it much, much easier to clear the sail when waterstarting - which should be a benefit at your level. I dont think youd break either one by just falling or getting slammed, its only when your rig gets tossed about in the waves when it becomes an issue.
goltz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2001 1:35 pm    Post subject: RE: carbon%: the more the better...? Reply with quote

The beauty of all this newer, lighter gear is that it is easier to carry back up the beach!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: