myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Quiver planning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cg,

aerotech's designed by a floridian. want power? think aerotech. want to pump in seemingly lots of wind? some of those "other" brands.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get hung up on brand names until you're advanced enough -- near expert level -- to care. Even then, there are at least a dozen excellent brands and scores of excellent models. More important is the style of the sail (few cams, IF ANY, for simplicity), what you have ready access to, power spacing (as opposed to 0.5 meter increments), compatibility (lengths, mainly, for now) with your masts and booms, price (unless you're so wealthy you don't care and you don't want to retire early to sail full time) ... PRACTICAL stuff.

As for leaving stuff at home ... Rule #2 in this sport is TAKE EVERYTHING YOU OWN. No way in hell am I going to leave my fun in the hands of a forecast.
montignp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
As for leaving stuff at home ... Rule #2 in this sport is TAKE EVERYTHING YOU OWN. No way in hell am I going to leave my fun in the hands of a forecast.

Coming from motorcycle racing, I know that the only way to ensure it will rain is to leave my rain tires at home. Sounds like it is the same deal with wind. Fortunately, coming from motorcycle racing, I already have a big van!
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, that van is your most important piece of equipment. Fill it, enjoy, and before long you'll know enough about WSing and WSing gear to intelligently and informedly choose a solid quiver optimized for YOUR venue, YOUR preferences, and YOUR budget.

I sometimes break Rule #2 and drive my minivan or Outback rather than my toy-hauler. BUT ... I know the weather well, I can extend my gear well above and below its intended range, I'll be surrounded by buds whose gear I can borrow, and some days there's just no place to park my toy-hauler.
bmoore98

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered windsurfing at 49 years old after having aged out of motorcycle racing. It has been the perfect sport for me because the adrenaline to risk ratio is so favorable. The learning process is much the same as in racing in that there are dozens of suttle techniques that must be mastered in order to get good. Many of the techniques are counter intuitive and it's a long fun never ending process only accomplished by putting in the time and loving the experience.

Yes! Fill up your van and always take everything you own. Windsurfing is expensive but after coming from road racing you'll think it's pretty affordable.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmoore98 wrote:
I discovered windsurfing at 49 years old after having aged out of motorcycle racing. It has been the perfect sport for me because the adrenaline to risk ratio is so favorable.

That was my expectation, too, when I sold my last desert racing bike and cross-country snowmobile racer in my late 40s (I didn't age out; I wised up) to focus on WSing. I never expected to get my most disabling injury ever on a WSer at 70. Ya never know. Ya play hard 'til ya can't and then accept less.
bmoore98

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya. I had rotator cuff surgery 12 weeks ago. My rehab is going really well but I won't see the water until July. I should be completely crazy by then.
montignp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to the discussion in my booms post, I am now concerned about not only the curve characteristics, but the age/reliability of my smaller masts (430 and below). Most of them are of unknown age, but probably pretty old.

My nicest/newest mast is a Sailworks Joystick 460, which I got with my Hucker 6.6. I just realized that this mast is also recommended for the Hucker 5.6. So my new plan is to pick up a Hucker 5.6 instead of a Retro 5.5 (which rigs on a 430), and do 80% of my sailing on these two sails with the Joystick 460. I will drop some coin on the 5.6 if I have to, and bide my time while I look for something cheap in the 4.7 and 8.5 range. Then I should be covered. 8.5 will probably come later, as I don't have any masts >460.

Thanks again for all the help in this thread!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are great sails for a "heavyweight" ;*). As a newer sailor, I'd
recommend rigging them with max downhaul, as they can be a little
pitchy when rigged for power. Just a thought.

-Craig

montignp wrote:

My nicest/newest mast is a Sailworks Joystick 460, which I got with my Hucker 6.6. I just realized that this mast is also recommended for the Hucker 5.6. So my new plan is to pick up a Hucker 5.6 instead of a Retro 5.5 (which rigs on a 430), and do 80% of my sailing on these two sails with the Joystick 460. I will drop some coin on the 5.6 if I have to, and bide my time while I look for something cheap in the 4.7 and 8.5 range. Then I should be covered. 8.5 will probably come later, as I don't have any masts >460.

Thanks again for all the help in this thread!
montignp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "heavyweight", I'm assuming you mean skills, but I notice that Sailworks also markets these to "heavyweights" in terms of physical size. I'm 6'2" 205, and that second number is probably only going to go up. So maybe its an OK fit?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: