myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
isonic 127 carbon-2011

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: isonic 127 carbon-2011 Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with an isonic 127. I want to know if this board can offer a good light wind experience for me at 140 Lbs on a 7.5 m. How user friendly is this board considering it`s speed. Does it go upwind very well. Considering it`s short and wide body at 85cm by 228cm long it seems like it could be an alternative board to a formula for lighter riders.

Any experience with this board would be appreciated.
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak to the 127, but I have an 08' 111, wood version. I weight 170. The sweet spot sail wise is my 7.6. I have used a 6.6 and 8.4, all racing sails. The 8.4 is ok when powered, but heavy if I have to slog. The 6.6 is a little small, but is ok too, but if I am on the 6.6 in winds up to 20, the ride is really pounding.

The board plans up quickly and is fast (I have hit 35.6 mph), BUT:

It's a rough, pounding ride in choppy conditions. The outboard straps in the rear are tough to get into (a small target on the rail, more difficult than my formula). I have a 42cm Tectonics fin and it motors upwind very well when powered. The stock Drake fins that came with the board are CRAP.

At the time I bought the board, I considered a freeride board as an alternative, but went for the more challenging board. I think that was a mistake. For racing, the iSonic is it. For freeriding, it's not. I will likely go for a 120+L freeride board as it's replacement (something with a 7.6 as the ideal sail.

I also have a formula board and jump down to the iSonic when the wind is up to 15+. At 20 or so, I go for a 105L freeride.

I hope this helps with your decision.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did a quick web search and this discussion suggests to use LARGE sails and NOT good upwind - in that review ...

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Review/i-sonic-127

i tried an iS 117W and it was too much for me
you better be ready - they are FAST
there is NO ready, set n GO - just GO !!
and quite short - even quick tacks are not easy ...
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe makes a good point on the "short nose". I am sure the 127 will have a bit more float on the nose than my 111, but you MUST move your body from one side to the other with NO time up front.

They jibe fine, but they don't carve anything like a narrow tailed, V bottom free ride. However, if you loose your plan on a jibe, you can get back going pretty quick with a couple of pumps.

The carbon model if going to have a harsher ride than the wood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: