myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 168, 169, 170 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomales is bump n jump, especially on ebb tides.
On floods, can can be jump city, smoother water but still thigh high windswells.
It's inside a bay, so no waves. Dillion and Limantour are the nearby wave spots.
bert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Embassy on Wednesday Reply with quote

Cold, brisk clearing winds at SFO this Wednesday. Sailed from Embassy at 1 pm on my new 81L Fanatic triwave/4.7 Naish Force. 4.2 conditions above the airport out towards the channel, Only one sailboat out on the water besides myself. Good therapeutic sailing for an hour and half. Getting up and down the riprap was made more treacherous by the algae growth at the waters edge..slipped and dinged my new board. WTF!! Crying or Very sad
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windoggie wrote:
The San Andreas fault runs right up the middle of Tomales Bay. So, if you hit it right, the swell could be memorable. Chopswell!

Chopswell can only be found in the Gorge, as so decreed in prior threads.

Quakeswell is an entirely different beast. Only liberal wackos ride quakeswell.

Quakeswell is very rare and deserves at least three woofs!

BTW - Third was rocking on a 3.7 last Saturday. Not too brisk and pretty steady wind.
bert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Coyote on Sunday Reply with quote

Big board/big sail conditions at Coyote this Sunday. 7.3 North/JP Superlightwind combo got planing after a couple hundred meters from shore. Wind range was about 14 to 17 up to the twin channel markers 5 miles up. Of all the door size boards, the JP is quite comfortable to sail and gets planing posthaste, but still requires full commitment to the jibe. Sailed for an hour with 4 others hitting once I finished up. Always prefer to sail on Sunday rather than watching the boob tube or doing house/yard work.
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Natural Bridges 02-26-2017 Reply with quote

Windsurfed (SUP Sailed Surf) at Natural Bridges this afternoon. Ezzy 7.0 and Angulo 10' 10". Wind 8 to 18 knots. Swell from NW or WNW with long period. waste to chest high. One overhead swell ride for the Wave of the Day.

Felt great to get out. Went out Friday with my SeaLion and then the Angulo using a 5.2 Ezzy, but the wind was like 0 to 8 knots and the waves were tiny. Got wet and it was the first day out for me this year, so still something good.

Today was so much better and I am fully stoked again. Looks like March is going to bring some warmer temperatures.

The season has begun for me.
bert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Oyster on Sunday Reply with quote

Rigged 5.0/110L at Oyster for an hour and half of solitary sailing. It was overcast and raining when I launched and I was on the lookout for any sign of lightning as I had no desire of turning into a fried lumpia Shocked . Very up and down wind at Tigers..either 6.0 or 4.0 conditions at different points in the cove, so the 5.0 was the right call. The wind direction made coming in a bit of a chore requiring several tacks to make it back to shore. It was refreshingly cold today but I had a good time Cool
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised so few sailors out at Berkeley on Sat.
Warm, 60 degrees, steady WSW direction around 14-22, partly sunny, partly cloudy with no rain until 5 PM, then just a drizzle, and only 4 of us out in the water.
100 liter board and 6.0, a bit small, but planing 50/50 on the first two runs, then 90% after that until 4:55PM.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about six of us sailed OB on the storm wind on Saturday. really nice day. James made a video

https://vimeo.com/207029215

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
bert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Stick on Thursday Reply with quote

5.9/101 freestyle at the Stick from 1 to 2:30. Wind average was about 15 and I needed to milk the sporadic wind to plane at about 50% of the time. Good freestylers are able to generate enough speed in the right spots to get their board to pop and make their moves and transitions. The only pop I generate are from my joints and my old bones Crying or Very sad Anyway I had a good time working on some old school moves..happy that I can still do them.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you noticed the guys using the really small sails, and smaller freestyle boards, also don't use much downhaul, or maybe no downhaul at all?
That should help getting planing when underpowered, which allows the use of smaller sails and sub 90 liter freestyle boards.
Plus, some of them actually only weigh around 145lbs. but most are in the 160 range.
I"m 150, and normally use a 6.0 when those freestyle guys, including the illustrious KK, are using 4.8's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 168, 169, 170 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 169 of 329

Jump to: