myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sherman Island 2017 -- storm damage
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
damel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Sherman Island 2017 -- storm damage Reply with quote

I have heard some crazy reports of giant trees piling up all over the sac river. Anyone been down to the access or have pics?
izitwindy?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple from the Access taken by Markus Marschall. The playpen is completely filled with debris. Looks like a war zone! Will be a monumental cleanup effort!

Playpen-1134.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  371.55 KB
 Viewed:  25949 Time(s)

Playpen-1134.jpg

Playpen-1143.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  495.24 KB
 Viewed:  25949 Time(s)

Playpen-1143.jpg

damel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... that is a lot worse than I expected. I was thinking some ginormous piles of drift wood but from the looks of things it is safe to say access to Sherman Island will be impacted in some way, if not the whole season at least during the spring months. Sad

... and thanks for the pics izitwindy.

izitwindy?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a state park and I believe Indian Bob is contacting the county to see what can be done to clean up but the storms are not done so we will have to see. It could come down to a bunch of us volunteeing to help clean it up! To be sure the rest of the river and launches have to be impacted!
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all totally worth it, ending the drought is a bit more important than us, I'll take the temporary damage if it means this drought is over for now.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only are the storms not done but the releases from the Oroville Dam are supposed to reach us this weekend. And if the emergency spillway fails it could be much worse. Launches at Rio Viento are covered in water but big logs have come and gone like they usually do this time of year. It doesn't help that we have about four years worth of crap coming down the river.

Edit: I finally walked over to take a look at the Sign. Campground looks good and the launches look about usual for this time of year, one big log blocking upriver launch just like last year. Of course, the way things are going it could be gone (or replaced) the next time I look.

Last edited by Arrgh on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a mess. Our beaches will look like that after this next storm rolls through.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update on Sherman Island ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
jroberts

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Sherman Reply with quote

I drove up there to check things out. Very high water still, debris at the access and along the levee at most sailing sites. Some trees down, a couple down at the Sign. Standing water in many places on the island. Looks like it held up fairly well, considering.
hitech

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove up today to check out the situation. It was either high tide or a lot of water is coming down the river. Still a lot of debris floating outside the channel that would make sailing virtually impossible near shore. Indian Bob has cleared much of the parking lot near Playpen so you could park and rig but it would be on a lot of debris. Current look much better than earlier pictures but I wouldn't plan on sailing for quite a while. IMHO the best option for next months will be to launch out of The Sign as debris much less and current might clear the floating debris much sooner. Playpen has a medium sized tree blocking large portion of the principal launch angle and it is dead center of the teaching zone.
Good news is that the levee bypass is done a a new paved road around Little Baja makes access much more user friendly. Kiters should be happy as they should have Little Baja access again. Campground looked pretty good so launching out of there might be preferred over Playpen.
Still early season so things will change....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: