myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Any Windsurfing in Guanacaste, Costa Rica?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donwh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Any Windsurfing in Guanacaste, Costa Rica? Reply with quote

Going to Costa Rica next week with wife and kids, staying at Marriot Guanacaste on the northern Pacific coast. I know they have surfing south of us, but as a long shot has anyone windsurfed this area?
Tempted to drive to Lake Arenal for a day...
Thanks.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is! I stayed at the Bolanos Bay resort http://bolanos-bay-hotel-guanacaste.booked.net/ which is actually on Bahia Salinas, back in 2001. They had decent windsurfing gear at the time, but I don't think they do any longer. The Ecoplaya hotel is supposed to have windsurfing there now. It's about 1/2 mile from the Bolanos Bay resort along the shore.
This place gets the same winds as Arenal lake, and it gets hella windy there. I was there in March, and I was on a 4.0 or 4.5 for 4 of the 5 days I was there. Lots of wildlife to watch out for: sting rays, jelly fish, and sea snakes. I saw all of them out there. This is not really a beginner spot, quite frankly, but it's great if you can waterstart, tack, jibe, and stay up wind. Warm water and huge swell.
I liked Arenal better to be honest; didn't feel quite as sketchy.

BoomBra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed that area back in the mid-90's before the hotel existed. A couple of friends and I sailed 4.5/5.0 for 3 days without anyone in sight. Worth a try, but Arenal is worth checking out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: