myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Florida sailing question-Stuart Causeway vs Riverside Park

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmlct

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Florida sailing question-Stuart Causeway vs Riverside Park Reply with quote

I was there the other day at the causeway and the north wind meant sailing near the bridge which was scary to me with the tide and wind running under the bridge. My question is does anyone launch out of the sailing center at Riverside Park in Jensen Beach and not deal with the bridge at all? What wind directions are favored there versus sailing at the Causeway? Any other issues I might be missing? I vacation there often and enjoy sailing that area but I did get swept under the bridge last year and would prefer not to do that again anytime soon. Any local knowledge would be most appreciated. Thanks, Peter
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that part of florida has tidal influences within the estuaries.

closer to the nuke plant, north of jensen, along a1a, is the herman's bay launch. the "beach" has been eaten away by erosion, but there may still be some spots to park and launch into the indian river. was once popular. i don't know who sails there anymore.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
clif371827

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been swept under the bridge. Not fun. The sailing center is an easy spot to sail from. Hermans bay is a huge open area. You probably won't see anyone else except at the Causeway. The Ocean is way better than the river. In Fort Pierce with a north wind Jetty park has fairly flat water until you get out past the end of the jetty. It makes for an easy launch. The State Park on the north side of the jetty has more waves but with a sideshore wind it is easy to get out. Randy Kerr and Randy Callahan are oftenin Fort Pierce on one side or the other when the wind is right.You will find more locals and info on Facebook at Windsurf Florida. Enjoy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: