myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
RRD longrider oxidation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmax7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: RRD longrider oxidation Reply with quote

The deck is the older red and white, board doesn't spend much time on the sun but every time I ride I end up with white all over where I've touch it

Any suggestions how I can seal the bleed?

Thanks for advise

Max
superkraut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this oxidation is intrinsic to EVA foam padding that sees a lot of UV. The deck pad on my Starboard SUP has been doing the same thing. You could do like I do and occasionally lightly scrub off the surface oxidation. Or you could move to Seattle
madmax7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eva,

This board has seen very little of the outdoors, its sad that it takes such little abuse.

Jason V from the Delta suggested redecking the whole top. Seems like a lot of work for a novice like me.

Hows wind looking your way for this weekend?

Cheers, Max
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madmax7 wrote:
This board has seen very little of the outdoors, its sad that it takes such little abuse.

I've lived and sailed in desert climates, mostly at a mile high altitude, for 35 years. All my scores of boards since about 1984 have had EVA deck pads of a wide variety of colors. Some of them are > 15 years old and are sailed several to many days each year. I've never noticed the chalking you refer to.

I see no reason to go to the trouble of removing the old pads. I'd sand the chalk off the surface and, if still necessary, slap new pads over the old ones. Much less work, much cushier ride. I always add some extra heel padding and a heel ramp on my boards right over the original pads. It takes minutes.
superkraut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVA foam comes in a lot of flavors, the major difference being whether its cross-linked or not. The firmer crosslinked foam commonly used as shock absorber in windsurfing footpads, is quite UV stable. The softer, non-crosslinked often used in lieu of non-skid as full deck pads such as on the RRD Longrider, is much more susceptible to UV damage
superkraut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madmax7 wrote:
Hi Eva,

Hows wind looking your way for this weekend?

Cheers, Max

looking iffy, I'm afraid, with one trough chasing the next, bringing much-needed precipitation, and gusty Westerlies - I'll update in our FB group as we get closer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: