myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
downhaul crank?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hamblett

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2000 1:29 pm    Post subject: downhaul crank? Reply with quote

Im looking for a downhaul crank. Anyone know where I can order one? Im not interested in the lever type just the crank. Was thinking of making my own but havent gotten around to it. need to see the cost of the cranks first. If I end up making one, Ill share the blueprints in the photos section.
Thanks!
THUKILL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2000 5:16 pm    Post subject: RE: downhaul crank? Reply with quote

I got one sent from Big Winds. Its great for getting the last few inches on big sails that use stiff masts. The only problem is that the crank is made of aluminum and it bent & broke twice on me. I had a welding shop make a replica(just the crank part)out of steel & its about indestructable now.
faller

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2000 3:08 pm    Post subject: RE: downhaul crank? Reply with quote

The Aboora Mainhaul is a great crank type tool, and retails for $39. Chinook now makes one but Ive seen it for over $40. The Aboora has the aluminum handle, but it wont bend if you use the crank properly. Many people around here have them and they are working just fine. They dont work as well with Fiberspar bases as the cleat is in an awkward place.
Big Winds does carry them, and we have a supplier around here in southern CT too.
Ellen
THUKILL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2001 2:59 pm    Post subject: RE: downhaul crank? Reply with quote

Re: the crank handle bending/breaking. Ellen is probably correct. I have only used the Aboora w/fiberspar bases. I was not aware the crank works better w/other bases. Its still a good item for the price.
hamblett

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2001 12:45 pm    Post subject: RE: downhaul crank? Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!

I was able to get a Chinook cup and pin for about $15 and some spare Stainless Steel rod from where I work. I bent up the rod into a handle last night and now need to drill a hole in it for the downhaul to pass through.

Once thats done, Im going to go to the hardware store and get some Steel pipe (water/sewer type about 6 long x 2.5dia) and drill a hole near the base of one end for the crank to pass through.

Then dip/paint it with a rubber coating (sometimes used to dip tool handles in) to prevent corrosion and thread the ends of the pipe.

Purchase 2 end caps, drill a hole in one to accomodate the Chinook cup assembly and attach the cup to the cap (plan on using locktite so it doesnt come off).

Attach the caps, paint them with the rubber material and thats it.

All said and done Ill have a custom made, heavy duty downhaul crank that should last forever. All for about $20-$25!

Now I just need to finish making another adjustable outhaul for my smaller boom!

Cant wait for spring season to get here!
jim.manta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2001 1:35 pm    Post subject: RE: downhaul crank? Reply with quote

I looked around for a while and couldnt find anything that was really good. I made my own and it works -effortless one hand cranking for my cambered sails.
I used the smallest boat winch I could find and removed the large spool wheel. This left the crank handle, axle and body which I mounted on about a one foot piece of closet pole using two stainless bolts. I added a collar and channeled the pole to fit snugly into a Chinook base. I put a small eyebolt through the axle to hold the downhaul line and that was it. Total cost was ~$25.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: