myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Freeride Board recommendations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B-Man_6.5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Really look into the FreeWIde catagory, Magics, Atom, RocketWide, Gecko type boards.
We have a 118 Magic Ride which is fantastic from 5.5 to as big as we own, sails smooth in 5.5 conditions, jibes better than anything.
Couple that with something like a FSW 100-105, and you have a quiver for everything except pure waves and over 40 mph winds.

Silly question, but what is "FSW"?
AG80

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"FSW" is freestyle wave. I would agree with Zirtaeb. I have an Exocet x-cross 115 liter which is their version of the "freewide" boards and Exocet cross 94 which is FSW. Those 2 boards cover 4.5m to 8.0m conditions for me.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here i go again with my rant about FSW. the boards are actually just free rides with a sexier name.

freestyle boards plane quickly, top out, and are rough riding in chop. think of them as slalom boards with their tails chopped off. the geometry is cramped. fin and foot straps are moved forward on the slalom rocker. this also helps the tiny fins used provide a bit more lift. the boards are designed to pop, spin, and slide all directions. yet, they stink on waves. in a phrase, not enough rocker.

wave boards have enough rocker to make turning on waves easier and more radical. they need more wind to plane. lots of dedicated wave boards for hookipa and similar spots are so rockered out that they are bucking broncos over wash board chop.

two more dissimilar names should not be paired.

BTW, lots of free rides are pretty decent in onshore conditions while wave riding. and, yes, if waves get more ideal they will suffer. typically, the FSW name is a hook for those that never quite make it into the surf to think they might some day, but never do. some savvy marketing guy exploited that.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
rollerrider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exocet Cross. Plug n play
TheAdmiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: early planning on wider board Reply with quote

I'm hoping for an opinion from Jingebritsen on exocet 138 scross and xcross. Which is better early planning. Weight 165 and can plane well but don't pump on to plane. Is carbon due to weight savings worth the money. I've sailed a 138/scross once and thought it was both early planning and very fast for a wide board. I currently use a Starboard f155 for early planning but gybing a challenge at 85 wide. Also sail an Isonic 145/88wide which requires a lot of rider imput due to it short(224 length) and a lot of down wind to plane. Any opinions are appreciated. Mark
AG80

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can comment on the X-cross. I weigh 180-185 and bought the x-cross to replace a Fanatic Shark 135. The shark was a very good freeride board, but the x-cross at 115 liters planes about the same as the shark at 135 liters and is more maneuverable. Jibes very well. It will plane with a 7.5m sail in 12-13 kn. I am very happy with the purchase.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

admiral, s-cross 138 close outs are the ideal ticket for your money...

x-cross 138 is good, and i am about to test the next edition. either choice is excellent.

8.3 kg for pro
8.8 kg for silver

0 of the s-cross 138's in stock at sandy point progressive sports. check stock at other dealers

plenty of x-moves available.

VinceSF

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
here i go again with my rant about FSW. the boards are actually just free rides with a sexier name.

Not always true. oftentimes they are wave boards with a different rocker. However we agree that the name is wrong. You cannot do freestyle with them.

jingebritsen wrote:
freestyle boards plane quickly, top out, and are rough riding in chop. think of them as slalom boards with their tails chopped off.

Now that is well put.

jingebritsen wrote:
BTW, lots of free rides are pretty decent in onshore conditions while wave riding. and, yes, if waves get more ideal they will suffer. typically, the FSW name is a hook for those that never quite make it into the surf to think they might some day, but never do. some savvy marketing guy exploited that.

They can be decent for bump and jump, when the owner actually wants to jump and maneuver easily.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vince, wave boards different rocker to me means exactly what i said. free rides. wave boards with flatter rockers are exactly that.
marc5

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(sorry to sort of hijack this thread, but......)

jingebritsen, your comments regarding FSW are interesting. I've been looking at FSW (RRD, etc) in the 95-100L range to replace an old Seatrend ATV 8-9 (89L). That was a great bump and jump board for 4.5-5.5. Really nice for Great Lakes side onshore waves and flat water carving. Now I'm in a place that's more flat water/chop. Would pair with a Firemove 122 I use down to 6.2. (181 lbs, pretty experienced sailor). Thoughts?
Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: