myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
LA WIND ALERT for Fri & Sat!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RSGIBSON

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2000 3:40 pm    Post subject: LA WIND ALERT for Fri & Sat!!! Reply with quote

Forecast is calling for HEAVY Santa Ana winds, NE direction on Friday 11-17 & Saturday 11-18, predicted 25-35 mph, gusts to 60, below the canyons and passes. If you are familiar with sailing sites that work in these conditions, please post that info NOW so that we all can take advantage of this! I am thinking that Lake Castaic could be very good, although on weekends you are only allowed on the lower lagoon. Also perhaps Lake Elizabeth and even Lake Mohave? Please respond.
geohaye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2000 6:38 pm    Post subject: RE: LA WIND ALERT for Fri & Sat!!! Reply with quote

Ron,
Some suggestions:

LAKE PERRIS-I met and sailed with the Pritchard brothers (Kevin was a little kid at the time) at Lake Perris 12 years ago in these conditions. Look on a map, youll see the town of Perris to the south of the town of Moreno Valley which is just east of Riverside. Lake Perris is just to the Northeast of the town of Perris.

PORT HUENEME-I hear it can crank in Santa Anas. Its near Ventura - in fact just a bit south of Oxnard. Take a peek at Mapquest.com or a similar site.

LAKE CASTAIC-(Near Magic Mountain in the town of Castaic.) Its not Lake Mistake on a really good Santa Ana. Ive sailed it and the sailing was good.

If its supposed to blow, Id wake up real early, and check the pager or our Southern California snapshot map. BUT: Port Hueneme can be blowing hard when all the So Cal iW sensors show light wind, so use your judgement...

Have fun!

~George Haye
iWindsurf.com
george@iwindsurf.com
brentkessel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2001 12:15 am    Post subject: RE: LA WIND ALERT for Fri & Sat!!! Reply with quote

I used to sail tons as a teenager in Marina del Rey, Malibu, Haiti, and lakes. Ive sailed in Bali, the Seychelles, and a few other reef-protected places as an adult, but not as regularly. I want to buy a rig that will work on as many days as possible at Topanga and/or Leo Carillo. Ive been thinking the Bic techno 273 (120L). Do you have any ideas? What about sail size?

Thanks,

Brent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: