myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
San Carlos - camp or Solosports ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loopy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

add to the list:

a. ear plugs -- waves are loud especially if you set up your tent in the arroyo
b. baby powder -- multipurpose
rlemmens

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no wrong choice. That being said, if the conditions are firing, I'd rather spend all my time on the water then cooking, fighting the elements, and probably not sleeping as comfortably. I like getting some fruit, going surfing, coming in to breakfast, hydrating, resting and then getting on the water when it's sailable, sailing until the epidermis is torn off my hands, then taking a hot "shower" at the end of the day. That being said, I set up my travel trailer every weekend so I like taking all the doing stuff out of the equation and focusing on the windsurfing and surfing.
tomg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another plug for Solo Sports. I had always dreamed of doing a Baja [wind] surf safari but then I hit my 50s and realized that, (dude!) it just ain't going to happen: I live in NorCal, I sold my 4x4, I have no friends crazy enough to go with, I don't have weeks and weeks of time off from work, family, etc, I've never been there, I could use some coaching in art of wave sailing.

So I pulled some dinaro out of my kid's college fund and booked a trip with Solo. Did the Clinic with Wyatt Miller. It was well worth it and the extra couple of hundred for the shuttle flight turned out to be a highlight of the trip: on the way down the three Cessna aircraft hugged the beach flying just a few hundred of feet off the water. Spectacular!

The camp is plenty comfy, the noise from the bar was not an issue and we were all crashed out by 10. We had a good crowd with folks from all over US and Canada. Also like mountain biking? plenty and really nice single track.

It's a special place no matter how you go, but Kevin has made it much accessible.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sassusman, photos above are representative of how prepared you should be when going down. You need to provide everything you'd need on a deserted island.

I've been going down since before solo sports. Believe me, it was beautiful and rustic. KT might save your life, or might not if you're camping in one of the southern arroyo's.

I've been there around 100 times. I may pay Kevin on my next trip down because......I deserve some pampering at my age.
theq

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
I deserve some pampering at my age.

The age part of the equation isn't debatable. Razz Wink

There's no question that age has to factor in. Age and income dictate the speed at which one moves from camper to pamper. If the drive down was shorter and less stressful, due to military checkpoints, nerve-racking passes on two-lane highways with no shoulder, etc., self-camping would be a slam-dunk. However, you can't back those things out, so do Solo if you have the disposable funds. You get down there faster, with your nerves intact, your left-at-home car will love you for it, and you don't have to hassle meals and pouring your own beer. Laughing

If I had MalibuGuru's vast fortune, I'd fly down and do Solosports in a heartbeat. In fact I'd be there right now. Book it, MalibuGuru, and OP! We ain't getting any younger.
SAS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Malibu guru. I also went there pre solo, and it was different. The one nice improvement is the pit toilets (while smelly) mean there's no more toilet paper blowing in the wind and getting caught on the cacti.

A couple other notes: if you have 2 vehicles, park them in an L formation with tarps on both windward sides, and you get a nice sheltered area in the lee. Also, if you look at the pic with the blue tarp on the side of the van: it is held on the van by the wind alone. Of course, it's not always like that so you would need ties/elastic cords too.

I think my most memorable trip was when we drove down on 9/11. We heard about the attacks while we were already driving down. While I was still in California I called my mom and she said: "are you sure it's safe with the terrorist attacks?" I replied: "it's safer than staying here. I don't think Osama Bin Laden has anything against Baja California."

The border was empty. The military checkpoints didn't ask me anything except if I had heard about the attacks. Then we were down there for 10 days, wind and surf every day. We had no news at all except when new people arrived, we'd hit them up for info on the world. Then we left Mexico and returned to a different world. It was actually months before I saw film of the planes hitting the towers and the towers falling.
MrFish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly OT but, is Sept OK at San Carlos then?

I could be there in Sep this year, or maybe Aug, but probably Sept.
SAS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I can only comment on my experiences in Sept. I've been there in Sept probably about 4 times. The 9/11 trip was clearly the best from a wind/wave perspective, while the other ones were more mixed. I have had much more consistent wind in the spring. The advantage of Sept is that the wind and water are warmer. I've been there in the spring where I never wore shorts the whole time because the air was too cold. Why don't you email Solo and ask them? They have years of being there all the time.

Regardless, whenever you go you should have alternate things to fill your time. Unless you live close enough and can go down only when a swell is coming in, your trip could have small or no surf, and strong or no wind. That's why I always bring a mountain bike along with windsurf and surfing stuff. They have lots of great single track there.
reality

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankse everyone for the input
not sure when this is going to happen but baja is certainly going to
some friends talking about Abreojos in June. They have been to San Carlos a bunch and said something about the owner being a pain.

look forward to any other input or comments on San Carlos and baja in general

thanks again
scottybda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reality .... so did it happen?

I was there in the spring, didn't see this post. Was my third trip with friends, this time we subscribed to the Prichard wave camp which was well worth the money. We scored the best session since we've been going, the mountain bikes never getting any miles!

I have to say Kevin, Joey Clark and the crew do a great job. I got hooked on the Goya quads.

Here's a vid Joey put together, when I get off my butt will make one also with some of the footage I got with the GoPro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_Xfqcwn0H0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: