myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
When windsurfing and kitesurfing buddies get together!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottybda

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: When windsurfing and kitesurfing buddies get together! Reply with quote

The kiters windsurf also, so all's forgiven! Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4vv7Tln3K0
Jim.od3

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by the jibes and tacks, the fellow is a pretty good windsurfer, but he's just getting "owned" ( to borrow a phrase from the kitesurfing generation ) by the kite boarders. Passing him like he's standing still and then boosting a 15ft jump off flat water! Kiteboarding sure does look cool - no doubt about that.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the windsurfer was shooting the video, so perhaps he wasn't going all out speed-wise so he could get better video of the kiters. just a thought.
scottybda

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Jim! Admittedly being slightly underpowered on a wave board I didn't have the pace to keep up, but a few weeks before when on my slalom kit going around the island they all got hammered! Cool

When I've done my windsurf event in July will get back out on the kiteboard again, as it's also fun in flat water, light winds! I'll see how I can give the foil boarding a go also as apparently they just rip upwind! Shocked

http://www.nippingshrewdereefs.com
mat-ty

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video, awesome seeing folks sharing the water and having a blast.
I did not think there was much happening in Bermuda for either windsurfing or kiting. I have been there several times and have never seen anyone riding..
muliolis4349

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video. You can do it the other way around, too. A strut mounted camera gets some nice video of windsurfers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZD08cUlWJ8

Yeah, and I do both, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6uNOLIlFTg
scottybda

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a small group of us who do ride. It's shrunk over the years, even kiting was much bigger maybe 5-6 years ago. Most kiters out at that time was 20 perhaps? Now it's more like 5 - 10.

I've been on a windsurf kick these days, lost interest in kiting. I'm sure I'll get back into it, can be a bit of a rush when you go to loop the kite for the first time in ages! Shocked But for now I need to practice for an event in July.

I've borrowed a second GoPro so want to try the boom mount, but will need to try the outrigger style to avoid getting too much of the boom arm in.

I like the strut mount on the kite, want to do the same but to use the kite as a high speed drone! Could get some nice aerial footage off it for sure! Cool to see how it looks Muliolis, did you have to purchase something special to do that?
muliolis4349

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottybda wrote:
I like the strut mount on the kite, want to do the same but to use the kite as a high speed drone! Could get some nice aerial footage off it for sure! Cool to see how it looks Muliolis, did you have to purchase something special to do that?

My kites are Slingshot, so because they have the "splitstrut" construction, which means the struts are sewn into the canopy all the way to the LE bladder, I needed to make my own. Its just a piece of PVC pipe with a GoPro mount glued to it with PVC cement. It is childishly easy to make. Just make sure you always use a safety leash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-ifNCvxaXw

For other brand kites, there is the Camrig strut mount.
scottybda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had Tropical Storm Karl pass by us. I got out on a 4.0 and my 83 JP wave board. Was a messy bump and jump session, though my rotator cuff was bugging me so took it easy. I left my gear with a friend so she could carry on and I went home to have lunch.

Decided to check out another beach and it was infested with kiters, perhaps 30 of them! I got offered two rides so went out and had some fun. Don't kite much these days, but it was good! The turtles were everywhere with so many near misses as the water was so stirred up so they couldn't see coming to the surface! Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVPNYBflVn4
justall

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love when we are all out together ... I use the kiters as waypoints.

More seriously .... Great video ... Piqued my interest in Bermuda.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: