myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Formula vs Slalom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Formula vs Slalom Reply with quote

Question Formula vs Slalom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, was wondering what preferences you sailors have. Formula or slalom for speed, cruising and fun aspect.

From my research the Formula would be much better for upwind/downwind-cruising and better in light wind and slalom would have better speed at a broad reach.

I am interested to hear some top end speeds some guys have clocked with both boards and what wind range you were in. And if anyone has had any head to head races with both boards.

Thanks
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Formula - good for racing, or committed to light wind planing. Up wind and downwind is only good if you have good winds to plane moderately fast. Running downwind, requires a bagged sail (adjustable outhaul) and very good power/wind, plus a lot of practice.

Slalom - good for racing, better speed and control in powered conditions. A big/wide slalom board will give up a little early planing to a formula board, but all else is a bit better, with the exception of DEEP down wind sailing.

Formula racers carry giant sails (compared to what recreational sailors would use in similar winds). The reason is the need for ample power to run fast and deep downwind in races.

A formula board is better than a giant slalom board in only one circumstance. Planing in slightly less wind. Up and downwind angles are slightly better with the formula, but the difference isn't meaningful, unless you are a formula racer.
outcast

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Techno said
But reality check is all this stuff is big and heavy for transport, The 9.5 weighs plenty...not real interested in an 11 meter with giant mast and boom

It def matters where you are sailing...If I was in Miami, or the Gulf Coast...it would be all about Formula

Formula has a methadone feel, but there is a twitchy 5th gear that comes with Slalom, A gust that hits when you are locked in gets you to warp instantly,,,,that's cherry.

i can cover 12-22mph with my slalom kit at 200lbs, but yes pump, yes shlog
Below that: paddle, bike or lawn mower

They both can get scary.. Flying downwind on formula is not for the timid
...Wavesailing is just so much easier and safer!!!!!

capetonian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For fun BAF sailing I'd go slalom board every time.

But have you considered a longboard with a daggerboard for exploring / cruising. The ability to get home when the wind drops / switches direction is gold.
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not go with the long board option for light wind as I have been there before and do not find it the most exciting. I am not racing yet but would maybe want to get in to it eventually. So I'm leaning toads formula epically to be able to travel in light wind and maybe race eventually.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atlas.wave55, where do you sail, and if you get into racing formula where do you hope to do that?

I live in the upper midwest, MOWIND country (IA, MN, WN, IL, IN, MI, OH), where there is open class longboard racing, Kona OD longboard racing, and, when there is enough wind, open slalom racing, but either almost no formula racing or actually no formula racing unless we are hosting the USWA Nationals.
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sail up in southern Ontario and If I wanted to enter in some friendly races at the TWC I could use a formula. Not sure if there is actual formula class racing But not my main goal at this point anyways.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailing a FW board recreationally is no big deal. Just use a smaller fin, between 56 and 62 cm paired with a smaller-than-FW sail and all will be well.

FW with FW-sized sails (9.5+) is another matter entirely because matching fin to sail and then tuning everything precisely remains the only way to survive when the wind comes up. FW gear is really fast, let no one convince you otherwise. A poorly tuned kit will create the dreaded death grip and rapid exhaustion.

dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said above, a Formula board coupled with a smaller sail can be quite fun and easy to sail, still having angle advantages over slalom, but generally 2-4 mph slower in reaching speeds than slalom kit.
You can go easily as small as 5.7 sail sizing, 62 fin sizing, on Formula boards if the winds are over 14-20 mph and you need to slog out to the wind, and slog back to shore after sailing. Yes, the sail has to be long boom and stable, with a high boom cutout, but it will work just fine. A twitchy sail, perhaps not.
If you find it boring, try moving the mast track back with a small sail. You get tail walking, board flying excitement as soon as you're planing. 2" makes a huge difference in tuning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: