myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
KONA ONE top speed??I got 40 pmh, what have you got?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
streetsailing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the prequel to that last video in case you wanted to get a closer look at the billionaire's yacht. Do any of you remember that yacht?

https://vimeo.com/14277076
Goodwind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An even closer look?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbucJO3zDCE Wink
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally buying your 40mph, and I am a skeptic. There used to be a reliable radar gun (old tech!) with digital display at the end of the rock jetty at the Event Site, HR. Many windsurfers hit 40 there (if only briefly), and this was early-90s on skinny slalom gear and small (<6m) sails.

I bet your GPS algorithm has a sweet spot for accuracy and that sweet spot is not 0-10mph.

Helmet and vest recommended.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early '90's slalom gear was a HECK of a LOT faster than Kona with a huge sail.
HiPerTek's, Priesters, Roque Waves blow doors on anything except the fastest narrow slalom boards of today.
While 40 is no huge deal on any generation slalom board, it's basically impossible except for a PRO sailor on a Kona.
89Spring

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so I am calling bullshit. Maybe this is accurate but I don't think so. Maybe this electronics package is set to KPH that would get you about 24something mph, 24 knots on a long board seems pretty fast to me. 40knt let alone 40mph on water is really fast. Faster than a lot of people realize. The high speed ferries here in SF cruise right around 28-30knts. Some of the newer are doing 32-34knts. I am pretty sure that you are not overtaking them at 10mph on your long board. 40 is really fast. You are pretty sheeted out and standing pretty vertical in a very relaxed stance and then when your little watch thingy vibrates at 40mph you sheet in do a little rail to rail and are pretty much stopped. I have never ridden a kona long board so who knows maybe a rail to rail jiggy jaggy at 30something to slow down is what you do. If your sheeted out the apparent is not too terribly forward so your not generating too much apparent. or sheeted out and out of control while running but not generating the apparent to go 10mph faster than the stated TWS. Get some proper electronics and go do it again. I would like to be wrong and believe that some one is doing 40 on a big long board but I just don't. Take your watch on a power boat that has some halfway decent electronics and do 40knts or a car for that matter.
Brian.bigfella@gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, this is probably a joke and no one who has sail much with a GPS thinks he's doing much over 20.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have become a little more skeptical after closely watching the video. At 40mph, that board should be really skipping, with just the fin in the water. I think maybe the GPS program has a sweet spot for accuracy that is not 40mph.

On another note, that yacht is impressive and looks small from a distance, but it is over a football field in length. It includes a sanctioned quarantine area for the wife's (former Miss Yugo) Maltese. Pretty funny.

aleksMS2104_468x311.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.5 KB
 Viewed:  20615 Time(s)

aleksMS2104_468x311.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANYONE who has sailed over 30 mph will know, at a glance, that the video is BS and the actual speeds probably mid 20's at best.
It's dumb to pretend otherwise, hope for the lottery, and dream of Jessica Alba......and then post it's a reality.
We have to call BS when we see it, and I saw it the first time.
katosandog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting how the board falls off plane in a 40 mph jibe.
leosantanalg@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys, I m Leo. The guy that posted it originally

I didnt notice that I posted in two different sub forums and someone just brought to my attention that I ve been neglecting responses here. so, please check the thread in general windsurfing discussions.

I m 226lbs, sail was 9.0 and winds supposedly 25knts, relatively flat water in the end of a sand bar

there are theories that this is a GPS mistake. I gladly accept that but please dont think that I intended to be faster than I am. no need for that.

I was using a quatix3 that is set up with Gonass and 1 sec update averages.
is the same GPS of the fenix 3 which people find very accurate.

I just ordered my self a Locosys GW-52 I ll be out there again as soon as we get another lake wind advisory.

Make no mistake, I m not a beginner just because I m riding a Kona and I m not in search of record speeds, I m in search of Kona Top speed.

Dont expect people to believe, Just be respectful! Its all about promoting the sport
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: