myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Camber stopper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Camber stopper Reply with quote

Aloha! Smile

I was going through many stores trying to find a camber stopper (?). The part at the bottom of the attached pic.
Does anyone know where I could get one?
Thank you!

Andrei.

Camber Stopper.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.56 KB
 Viewed:  6393 Time(s)

Camber Stopper.JPG

hitech

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try one of the sail makers. The cam and shims look similar to my Sailworks NX from a few years ago so call Bruce Peterson at Sailworks and see if he can help you out. If it is not current, they do sail repair and might have something available.
Good luck
thombiz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've repaired about 8000 sails and I've only seen the plastic batten end pocket a few times. The most recent one I saw was on a Neil Pryde. The problem with the part you need is it needs salt water resistant rivets to be installed. You could substitute an endpocket made from nylon webbing, which could be sewn on. Bruce Peterson would have the nylon webbing substitute.
The nylon webbing substitute would work perfectly well, and is the standard solution for just about every other manufacturer of cammed sails.
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitech wrote:
I would try one of the sail makers. The cam and shims look similar to my Sailworks NX from a few years ago so call Bruce Peterson at Sailworks and see if he can help you out. If it is not current, they do sail repair and might have something available.
Good luck

Thank you! I did contact them. Bruce was super helpful. Got the parts a few days ago. They should work. Though, the holes for rivets are not at the same place as on the original part. I'll try to get the original part form the manufacturer. Otherwise will use what I've got already.

Andrei.
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thombiz wrote:
I've repaired about 8000 sails and I've only seen the plastic batten end pocket a few times. The most recent one I saw was on a Neil Pryde. The problem with the part you need is it needs salt water resistant rivets to be installed. You could substitute an endpocket made from nylon webbing, which could be sewn on. Bruce Peterson would have the nylon webbing substitute.
The nylon webbing substitute would work perfectly well, and is the standard solution for just about every other manufacturer of cammed sails.

Thank you Thombiz!
Those part come with semi-tubular rivets. I assume they are made of proper material. Also, I mostly sail on the lakes with fresh water. Our local sailing club has stock of rivets. So, OK regarding those. While waiting for the original part, I did repair the sail using webbing. I sewn the webbing on manually. Took some time and patience. It works really well. I'm very surprised that the sail didn't have webbing originally. Somewhat insufficient design. Batten pushing into 1mm plastic and the cam wearing the part out? It was designed for failure. When the part comes I'll put it over the webbing for extra robustness. Will see.

Andrei.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: