myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 145, 146, 147 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, what a sad day at Berkeley today, Tuesday.
Took yesterday off after playing tennis, figured I needed the rest after sailing the past 5 days.
Went out at around 2, Bernard blown off the water with a 7.5 and 107 Isonic.
I rig a 6, Speedster 65, crawl out 200 feet, wind goes zero, and I sit for 5 minutes before uphauling and slogging for another 5 minutes at 1mph max.
First puff comes it at over 22 mph, almost overpowered, but it lasts for 30 seconds, and each succeeding puff get's lighter and shorter until it becomes 2-16, when 5 other guys come out to suffer.
I notice the flags at the docks, and at Cal Sailing, go to straight N, then E, then back to N, never a good sign for getting home.
I half plane in, looking back at the other 5 guys from CSC. They NEVER even lean back, much less attempt to plane.
Then it got worse.....lighter.
Makes me wonder about July.
ethurlow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All, Be careful getting to your windsurf destination tonight...from NOAA post (Ken Poulton's website) there may be patchy smoke (maybe on the water) clouds out there>>>>. Ernie

pigeon point (S of Half Moon Bay) to point pinos to 10 nm-
158 pm pdt wed jul 27 2016

tonight
nw winds 10 kt. wind waves 2 ft or less. mixed swell
nw 3 to 5 ft at 10 seconds and s 3 ft at 12 seconds. patchy smoke
in the evening...then patchy fog after midnight.

thu
w winds 10 kt. wind waves 2 ft or less. mixed swell nw 4
to 5 ft at 10 seconds and s 3 ft at 11 seconds. patchy fog in the
morning.
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Stick 27 and 29 Reply with quote

The fog is back again pushing me to the Stick ... which is still very nice. Two days with Patrik 100 and GPS 6.6. Monday light, but still enough to do some nice runs, today strongly powered up. I am mostly working on asset, line positions, down haul, moved forward the strap one hole ... boy these board are technical. But it is worth it, I am getting to that perfectly balanced sailing spot where the board just goes, effortlessly. no matter what the wind does Very Happy

Both days few people out ... I wonder how good TI might be in these late July days ... wind is loosing strength ...
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"m going thru the same thing (setup) with the Tabou Speedster 100. Trying to compromise between going full speed slalom sails and going full speed freeride sails...and using that board for higher winds and sub 4.7 meter sails.
4th day today Wed., by far the smoothest, with the choppiest weirdo refraction water and switching winds, boat traffic, and generally 8-20 mph, with a 6.0 Maui Sails Switch and 32 Tetonics Phoenix. Feels very fast, nobody else even remotely planing with much bigger sails so can't really tell.
An hour of 80% planing, then the legs said "go home" after the 4 tennis sets just before going out.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Davide, I thought you were selling that Patrik 100 ?
We got a similar board, Tabou Speedster 100 x 65, 233 length. Setup is interesting, as the rear strap holes start at 5.5" from the tail, way farther back than Isonics, Fanatic Slalom, JP's, or Exocet's. I use third hold UP from the tail, to set at 7" from the tail.
23" spread of stance, needed to control such a pitch sensitive 233 cm board.
Track at 133, center of track, and somewhat high booms settings are needed to fully unwet in chop and stay stable in the lighter wind, flatter waters.
Been using only the 32 Phoenix, as the 36 seems big when powered up with a 6.5.
Rigged up today next to a big dude with a Patrik 82cm wide slalom board and 8.8 sail. He barely planed, while I sailed full speed all around with a 6.0 Maui Sails Switch. Guess it pays off in light winds to be light weight.
Another bigger dude was on a JP Light Wind Slalom and 8.8 Ezzy, so he didn't really plane at all.
Have you figured out your top speed problem? Always a game to balance tail walking with easy control, for the highest speeds.
lokomotiv

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: The Stick Reply with quote

OK hearing your stories about how great the sailing is at the Stick I am going to give it a try tomorrow. Would someone kindly post a Google Map link showing the best spot to park. When I sail Coyote I am usually on a 5.2/5.7 so thoughts on what to bring also appreciated.
vmaher2045

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good today at stick nice and warm. 5.0 85 thought I was just going to be swimming but the water was deceptive. Nice and steady and plenty powered especially after Davide left. RE parking, going north take the Candlestick exit. Stay along the shoreline until right across from where the stadium was. Look for the "no parking to the left sign." Stay to the right of it. If you're there after two thirty you'll probably see a few people there. The parking area is between the pier and the state park parking lot along the fence. You'll know the main launch by the sandbag path leading into the bay.
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Hi Davide, I thought you were selling that Patrik 100 ?
We got a similar board, Tabou Speedster 100 x 65, 233 length. Setup is interesting, as the rear strap holes start at 5.5" from the tail, way farther back than Isonics, Fanatic Slalom, JP's, or Exocet's. I use third hold UP from the tail, to set at 7" from the tail.
23" spread of stance, needed to control such a pitch sensitive 233 cm board.
Track at 133, center of track, and somewhat high booms settings are needed to fully unwet in chop and stay stable in the lighter wind, flatter waters.
Been using only the 32 Phoenix, as the 36 seems big when powered up with a 6.5.
Rigged up today next to a big dude with a Patrik 82cm wide slalom board and 8.8 sail. He barely planed, while I sailed full speed all around with a 6.0 Maui Sails Switch. Guess it pays off in light winds to be light weight.
Another bigger dude was on a JP Light Wind Slalom and 8.8 Ezzy, so he didn't really plane at all.
Have you figured out your top speed problem? Always a game to balance tail walking with easy control, for the highest speeds.

I'll sell it if somebody wants it! Given my health problems I am not so sure it is so wise to go around with cambers and slalom ... but for now I use it with the utmost care just to not compromise the resale vale.

I am using it with a Phoenix 33 and most of the time with a GPS 6.6. The board is actually very nicely balanced, there is zero tail walking, and the phoenix stabilized the tail so that I can take the plates out. The board can take a lot of wind with a lot of composure, but it simply does not go above 29 (knots) and change (cross 30 once). Today was especially baffling, as the wind was strong, I was very nicely set up, made very stable runs with barely a hiccup and ... 27.6 knots Embarassed Maybe the Garmin is the culprit. I was absolutely convinced I was going faster than usual on a beam reach on the smooth sections of the port run.

Who knows, I still have a few things to try. Moving a bit the straps, and getting 32" lines (the 30" can't go any longer are almost mono limes as set up now).
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I keep talking about rear strap placement.
Most slalom boards, the most back position is around 8" off the tail.
The Tabou I have is 5.5" off the tail, and I moved it up to 7", probably going back in 1/2" increments to see if it still balances out.
It it's comfortable, I guarantee it's slow in top end.
I think you're lightweight like me, so straps back on most boards, but that distance can change from 5.5" to 8" off the tail, which makes a huge difference.
All my other freerace and slalom boards have the rear strap setting as far back as possible, with the exception of the Tabou.
JPSlalom84, Exocet Speed Slider 95, JP SuperSport 109.
Do you ever sail with JRob? He's a speed Garmin sailor too.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I suspect the new Fury and Phoenix might be slower and more friendly than the old Gold Wings, but it's almost impossible to know except by GPS readings.
The longer chord, the roach, might be the culprit. Great low and mid range at a possible loss of top end.
I got the new '17 Cosmic 6.7 in the van, and it also has a longer roach, smaller tip, just like the Phoenix compared to the Gold Wings. It has great mid range, but I can't tell top end because nobody at Berkeley bother's to sail fast anymore.
Chenda Herstus is on Maui pretty much full time now. He was the alpha dog in speed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 145, 146, 147 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 146 of 329

Jump to: