myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Swell-Hatchery getting nutty with OC's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottwerden

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Swell-Hatchery getting nutty with OC's Reply with quote

I am all for sharing the water so this post is not a complaint, it is more of a caution to everyone.

There are a lot of OC's (outrigger canoes) doing runs from Viento down to Hood River these days. There are lots of SUP's too, but with an OC, the pilot is down low in the thing and has limited visibility. Also an OC is pretty darn fast and can really surf the swell more efficiently than a downwind SUP. And they really like getting into the swell zone.

So, today I was in the swell zone, down in the water because I blew a jibe and I look up and here is an OC screaming down a wave heading straight for me, maybe 20' away. He did not see me because he is low and I was down in the wave troughs. Somehow I managed to not get speared by his canoe so it all came out OK, but this is really an accident waiting to happen.

Not sure what the solution is rather than being super vigilant, for everyone on the water. So, OC pilots and sailors, be careful out there!
westender

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've been having races. Should be over Sunday PM? They have Orange shirts. I can see them. It's hard to see a sailor flopping around in the water even if I'm standing on my board! If there's good swell.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Swell-Hatchery getting nutty with OC's Reply with quote

Hey Scott, the answer is simple, don't go down in the Swell Zone ;*)

-Craig

scottwerden wrote:
I am all for sharing the water so this post is not a complaint, it is more of a caution to everyone.

There are a lot of OC's (outrigger canoes) doing runs from Viento down to Hood River these days. There are lots of SUP's too, but with an OC, the pilot is down low in the thing and has limited visibility. Also an OC is pretty darn fast and can really surf the swell more efficiently than a downwind SUP. And they really like getting into the swell zone.

So, today I was in the swell zone, down in the water because I blew a jibe and I look up and here is an OC screaming down a wave heading straight for me, maybe 20' away. He did not see me because he is low and I was down in the wave troughs. Somehow I managed to not get speared by his canoe so it all came out OK, but this is really an accident waiting to happen.

Not sure what the solution is rather than being super vigilant, for everyone on the water. So, OC pilots and sailors, be careful out there!
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two OC pros stay with me this weekend. They confirmed the need for caution. There are a few obvious hard impact points that will do serious damage to anything. Those boats also do not turn very well. At 20' away, that boat was pretty much committed to its trajectory. So, yeah, don't go down in the swell zone. And waterstart and get powered (for steering) as quickly as possible for your own sake. Don't lollygag.
WMP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Swell-Hatchery getting nutty with OC's Reply with quote

scottwerden wrote:

Not sure what the solution is

Waterproof radar device that detects objects in the water. There will be something available in the future. Until then..... make ALL your jibes..... and be sure to give your guardian angel a beer AFTER each sesh. Actually, I'd be happy to offer you a beer delivery service (for a beer) to bring the beer up to all the guardian angels on Wind Mountain. Just ask me!
surfersteve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take some outriggers over tourists beelining back and forth the river any day. At least I know what the boats are going to do. They recognize the swell and the dangers much more that the person unfamiliar with a 3.7 day
If not for a huge decline in the number of sailors in general, we would be complaining there are too many sailors out there.
Listen The Eagles sing "Last Resort" for further clarification.
Chrisgorge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents is that it is darn good for the Gorge for this "invasion" of surf skis and their cousins. It helps the economy and they are outward bound, water sports types.

Like anything, these different activities have difficulty co-existing in the same space. The classic Gorge wind/wave conditions that we all come for, increase the intensity and criticality when we get in close proximity.

AT first occurrence, I often think loud people on the water are obnoxious, but ya know - a little hootin n' hollerin can help people know the others are there.

However, any sailor down in the swell should consider themselves to be invisible and in great danger. Pump the adrenaline and get the H out of there as fast as possible.

Even the Gods fall sometimes.

We need to learn to co-exist with other water users. I do wonder with all the distance they cover, whether the surf skis are getting enough wave elsewhere and could perhaps take a route through Swell/Hatch closer to Oregon? I don't know how that suggestion appears to a kayaker.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the OCers (world class) who stayed with me, they want solid wind and surfable swell, just like us, in order to surf as much as possible. They also stated Friday's race wind was variable and therefore somewhat challenging and more strategic for them. But Saturday's "fun day" (alternate race day) was just about perfect due to solid strong wind. The current is a bigger issue for them (than it is for us) due to significant friction. They're going to use the channel and the swell if the current isn't too bad. So the side of the channel is a good location for them. They are relatively slow and predictable. I don't think they pose much of a threat or inconvenience to windsurfers, unless you don't notice them or you are lollygagging down in the swell zone. They can stop but cannot turn quickly.

Much like European drivers, I see honking your horn as positive communication on the water. I do it especially when I am in a blind spot and I notice the windsurfer or kiter does not have head on a swivel. "Hell-O!" or a high-pitched "Yoo-hoo!" (depends on mood, how silly I feel). Two syllables. If the head turns, I have succeeded in making presence known. The trouble in USA is that car drivers seem to have forgotten how to positively communicate. So honking the horn usually translates to "F! you!". And so I think most windsurfers are inhibited to verbally communicate, because they don't want to be perceived as mean or obnoxious. But I don't care about this perception; what matters is not getting jibed/surfed into.

"The Last Resort" is brilliant; I listened this morning. There is a big ugly box manifesting on the hillside of Mosier (Center Street) right now. Chainsaws have ceased. I saw/heard the first dust-blower/noise generator (erroneously called "leaf-blower") a couple days ago. A moderate earthquake might have much to say about its lifespan. Take a walk up Center Street to see what I mean.

*If there are any Mosierites who would like to join against dust-blowers, there is the opportunity to do so now as I am currently drafting a code paragraph (modeled after others, especially in CA) in order to ban this spawn from Hell (gas and electric) for ALL ETERNITY. My campaign is called "Save the witches!" (because brooms are OK). I will also be collecting signatures in order to encourage the council to adopt this code without hesitation or too much discussion. Your signature will carry massive weight in this small town and your presence for council discussion will too. I would like to hear from you. So private-message-me. Thanks. I am not joking now.

I guess I will take a break from the forum now lest I generate with hot air some thunderheads that screw up the wind.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrisgorge - appreciate your positive attitude about this. We all know why they aren't on the OR side. It is the same reason we don't go there except to get back upwind - it sucks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: