myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Finding out the year of board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuyT

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Finding out the year of board Reply with quote

Got an email from a guy that wanted my opinion on a Tabou 3S 86 that was suppose to be a 2012, according to the ad. From the graphics, I knew it was not a 2012 (I have one), but a 2010.

Talking to people who bought used boards, I found out that a few people weren't really sure about the age of that "killer deal" board. And some sellers confuse the year of the board with the year they got it. Wink

I am sure most of you know that, but there is a way to find out the year of a board, it's included in the serial number.

All the boards build at the Cobra factory in Thailand (Fanatic, Tabou, Naish, Starboard, F2...) follow the same pattern: the first 2 letters identify the maker and the two next digits give the year.

For example, the serial number of my Fanatic Freewave 2012 starts with "FA12...".

RRD and Angulo boards have a slightly different pattern, they insert the board model between the company identifier and the year. For example a RRD Freewave 80 2011 has a serial number starting with "RDFW8011". I think Angulo uses 4 letters to identify the company.

JP boards have a completely different pattern. I am not really sure, but I think the year follows the first 4 digits. A 2007 board would have a serial number like "92347..."

And if you can't see the serial number because it has been erased, it's probably a stolen board. Wink

Cheers!
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A missing serial number on a board with an EVA deck might just be due to ordinary wear. I have a 2001 Starboard Start, 2006 Kona One, and a 2012 Kona One which all had serial numbers placed on the EVA and each of them is now missing all or most of the serial numbers. All of the serial numbers were clearly visible when I bought the boards.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still a good deal for the 2010.
Just search company and model, until you find the actual board in the PDF catalogs.
I"m in SF Bay Area, and won't be driving up to Hood River to personally inspect the lineage of the 3s in the ad.
If no picture is provided, ain't much you can do.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use photos from the 18 years of test magazine issues I saved "in case". Holy cow, has THAT paid for itself in selecting boards!

It's never too late to start ... if there are any such magazines still publishing.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the 3S 86 of 2010 today at 2:30, rushed down to Berkeley and got an hour's powered up session with a 5.5.
Nice, triple pads, no gimmicks, slightly narrower tail than my JP 84 FSW, for a longer, carving higher speed jibe.
The double concaves made the whole deal, being much smoother than the JP, and initial strap and track settings were dead on for bump and jump sailing.
Exactly the kind of board I was looking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: