myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Obnoxious kiters at/near Hatchery
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericandholly,
You're being daft (intentionally ignorant). It's tiresome, and the sarcasm isn't funny either. I'll go back to my main points and make some more.

Most kiters are pretty sensible, from what I've noticed. However, lately, there appear to have been a few at the Hatchery who delight in doing stupid stuff. Such as luffing-up/pinching windsurfers (which creates problems in a chain reaction sort of way when there is a big crowd on the water). Also, there have been a few kiters at the Hatchery who are obviously on the edge of competence. Dropping the kite at the Hatch is not something anybody wants for obvious reasons.

Another point I didn't make, but it's relevant: there are some barely competent windsurfers at the Hatch sometimes. They are not as good as the competent windsurfers and kiters who can turn very quickly. And they are often barely staying in control, looking straight forward at the oncoming swell/chop (so they often have blinders on and don't see around themselves). Something to keep in mind.

Kiters are (obviously) more at risk for injury/death than windsurfers. I see fewer helmets and PFDs on kiters these days; I think this is a fashion trend in the kiting community (because I remember seeing more helmets/PFDs and also remember several years ago when my kiter friends would brag about and show me the cool helmet they just bought) and also perhaps comes from a sense of false security that one gets in large numbers (a feeling of herd immunity), which now exist in the kiting community. And the board either has no flotation or very little. How far away is the helpful flotation of the kite when it goes down in massive swell, current, and wind? Dangerously far for a swim upstream.

It's especially in KITERS' best interests not to pull annoying and (especially) antagonistic stunts at crowed places, such as the Hatchery. A few are obviously doing it.

Kiters will help themselves by sailing smart and with a good attitude (non-antagonistic). Learning basic ROW is essential, and not knowing it is no excuse. If anybody gets within a mast length of a windsurfer (especially downwind), that is really dumb and begging for trouble (it's probably illegal too). Force=mass x acceleration. Kiters are much more maneuverable than windsurfers and therefore have a duty to avoid this potentially lethal situation (for their own sakes especially).

Incidentally, I have heard word-of-mouth of some (free) seminar coming up regarding safety and injury prevention being offered to kiters, and I believe that is necessary and a great idea; not sure whether any basic ROW will be presented. There have been some serious kite accidents and injuries recently between Hood River and Lyle. I am sure everybody would benefit from it. Free beer should attract many. These details come from Temira's weather blog http://thegorgeismygym.com/forecast/ :

"Sat, Jul 23, 2016, 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM
Hood River Event Site, Portway Ave, Hood River, OR 97031, USA
The CGKA is holding an event at the Event Site in HR this Saturday July 23 at 8pm. Beer there then about 845 a presentation by two wilderness medicine doctors about kitesafety - injury prevention and a grab bag of basics in treating some common injuries.
"

Last edited by biffmalibu on Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:44 pm; edited 4 times in total
starfish

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the real problem. There's just too many people on the water. All tourists ,weekenders and summer only people please leave. We do not have these problems in may june and after labor day. Evil or Very Mad FLAME ON I DON'T GIVE A DAM
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Same thing different summer Reply with quote

starfish wrote:
This is fun to read as usual. I never seen a windsurfer lose their gear, never.
Twisted Evil

I have both done and seen it many times, even without head or rib injury, even with very experienced WSers. It's one reason I armor those parts and dress for a long swim.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bud just reported that a kiter landed hard on his helmeted head last week at the Hatch. The kiter apologized extensively, saying he had no idea he would drift that far downwind in a big jump or he wouldn't have lauched into a crowd. He asked if my bud or his gear was hurt. Answer: "No, but have you always been missing about 6 of your front teeth?"

Karma happens.
rlarson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quit sailing the hatch because of both windsurfers and kiters r so unsafe and selfish. The swell isn't that good!
westender

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to put it in neutral for a guy that had some trouble with his kite style and was happy to do it, some of the kiters were more fun than the windsurfers. Sometimes it's fun to sail at deserted places even tho the conditions might not be spectacular. Actually my favorite thing.
mschock

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hush, some of us like all the folks focused on the Hatchery. Why spoil it for those that like to travel and sail empty waters. Back in the day, (the way back) board heads pulled off the freeway and found new beaches and fresh swell. It's a big river, explore. Very Happy
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've launched from at least 70 different sites on the Columbia, and I'm sure there are some I've missed and I know I've passed up some due to unattended vehicle vulnerability.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: