myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Help deciding if I should downsize freestyle board
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your current FS board for fresh water and buy a 88 liter replacement for salt water. It does everything from 4.2 to 5.7 in salt water.
Kevin Kan uses a 88 liter Skate, and he weighs 190 lbs. and needs a full wetsuit.
No need for anything bigger than 90 liters for you size, unless you only sail in fresh water and sub 15 mph breezes.
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
Jeff, get the 100, and keep the 110 around. You can probably find a place to store it at that little place your mom has on the water Smile. You can always sell it later if you find you don't use it much.

And start earning cookie points at home so you can get spousal approval for a 5-day ABK camp in Hatteras or Bonaire!

Peter, thanks for your thoughts.
LOL, I already have 3 boards there, and that's not including the Windsup getting repaired. I should sell some of my boards !
I think ultimately a smaller Skate is the way to go once I get into aerials, I suppose the question just is a matter of when...I wisht the new boards weren't so $$$

thanks again
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wsmtbskate wrote:
I wish the new boards weren't so $$$

I've seen only one NEW board this century I felt to be worth buying new, and that was at Fall closeout prices AND was a moderately old-school/retro shape. The new vs old question is like most other WSing gear dilemma; it's a CHOICE based on personal criteria. Some of my very finest performers in my daily quiver to this day cost me from $10 to $112. "New" means "made this year", not "inherently superior".
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
wsmtbskate wrote:
I wish the new boards weren't so $$$

"New" means "made this year", not "inherently superior".

no I hear you. I've only ever purchased two boards new, and only because there were none that were similar available in the used market. This wasn't a new style versus old style comment, just a comment on the cost of boards in general.
canada9

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the 103 Starboard Flare. It'll work well with your big sails and have the top speed you need for doing the moves you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: