myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Great day in Lake Charles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidcdanna8941

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:55 am    Post subject: Great day in Lake Charles Reply with quote

Hey all, Had a good practice out on the lake yesterday. finally got a little bit of speed and of course fell in a few times when I'd go too far into the wind with speed and then the mast would come back on me and try to pop me in the face. lol.. Luckly I'd fall in the water before that happened. My board seems like it's more of a barge than a board. It's quite heavy too. I was wondering if maybe this is just normal and it's not much of a plane up on the water kinda board. It's an AHD Zen and looks like this. https://pics.ricardostatic.ch/2_829907430_Big/sonstige-sportarten/windsurf-board-ahd-zen-fuer-beginner.jpg

I weight 180pounds and the board supports me quite easily...so just wondering, should I expect to get much speed out of this board on a 12-15mph day? Enough to get it up on plane, I mean?

Also, I'm using a 6.5 sail and I tried to do the waterstart thing but I don't think there was enough wind for that. What sort of winds and sail sizes can I guy like me expect to be able to do a water start in?

Thanks!!
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like the AHD ZEN of 190 liters
that model is 290 x 80 cm and 13 kg
should float heavyweights and be able to handle large sails n fins

at 180 pounds you are far from heavyweight (in my book) and that board will float someone much heavier in NO wind

12 mph is LIGHT wind and typically requires BIG sails/fins and/or technical skills

@ 15 mph we are starting to talk about wind
however, for me a 6.5 is a SMALL sail
nice n light n easy to handle, but lacking "oomph"

for what you want to do (beach/water starts n planing), I would guess you need a larger sail or more wind
(8.x sail in 15 mph or 20 mph winds with 6.5 ?? - waiting for more wind is much cheaper )
and perhaps a helmet too - to be safe

HOWEVER, you have the perfect learning combo !!!

good winds
davidcdanna8941

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
looks like the AHD ZEN of 190 liters
that model is 290 x 80 cm and 13 kg
should float heavyweights and be able to handle large sails n fins

at 180 pounds you are far from heavyweight (in my book) and that board will float someone much heavier in NO wind

12 mph is LIGHT wind and typically requires BIG sails/fins and/or technical skills

@ 15 mph we are starting to talk about wind
however, for me a 6.5 is a SMALL sail
nice n light n easy to handle, but lacking "oomph"

for what you want to do (beach/water starts n planing), I would guess you need a larger sail or more wind
(8.x sail in 15 mph or 20 mph winds with 6.5 ?? - waiting for more wind is much cheaper )
and perhaps a helmet too - to be safe

HOWEVER, you have the perfect learning combo !!!

good winds

Yes Yes, That is my board! But I think it's more like 90cm wide. So more sail and more wind is what I need----got it! Thanks! That's the kind of info I needed. I have a quiver of 4 sails total so far....a 5.5, a 6.3, and 6.5, and a 7.5. The 7.5 is a reinforced type so it's a heavier sail that's the only reason I don't really use it much. Maybe I'll give it a go next time. Helmet, check... Gonna have to remember to bring it with me next time.

Wait a bit. 13kg is only 28 pounds. No this board is way heavier than that. Maybe it's water logged...but it's closer to 50 or 60 pounds. It's a beast to try to put up on my trailer or load into the bed of the truck. It's got a lot of repair patches and battle damage so water logged is an absolute possibility.

If I can get it on a scale I'll post some actual measurements.

Good info Thanks again!
windward1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not expect to get much speed out of a board that weighs 60 pounds. Therefore planing without storm winds is unlikely.

Most planing takes place at over 14 knots with light boards. Of course that depends on board shape and rider's weight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: