myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looking for a board recommend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garypo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2000 8:48 am    Post subject: Looking for a board recommend Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
A friend has a Tiga 263 b&j for sale, and I remember a few years ago hearing some good stuff about this board. I weigh 170, and it would be the one board quiver for rio, gorge, coast. What is the wind/sail range, hows it turn, control, blah, blah? I know theyre heavy, and slow to plane. Im not into jumping much, just want to manage moderate to very high winds/swell, etc. Would this be the stick? Any help is appreciated.
thank you
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2000 10:28 pm    Post subject: RE: Looking for a board recommend Reply with quote

The 263 B&J is VERY fast and smooth in rough water, where it also jibes very smoothly if jibed very aggressively and competently. Thats why I bought one, for use in two especially choppy lakes

But thats all I liked about it, so I sold it after maybe 6-8 sessions on it in the year in owned it (it was definitely NOT my main board, or it would have been sold after its first week). It just sat in my van for a season or two because its just too narrow and too squirrely when not totally powered up and flying (which is how I try to sail, but the wind wont always cooperate ... I live at the Gorge). Its narrow width makes it reluctant to plane unless really powered up (weight doesnt affect planing quickness, according to WS Mag tests), and its volume distribution and rearward bias to both footstraps and mast step load up its tail too much (I weight 180) unless really powered up every minute. When it hits a hole it drops off a plane and weathervanes (rounds up) very quickly. Its THE most difficult-to-slog board Ive ever ridden, and Ive tested something like 200 boards for a testing magazine.

I bought a Mistal Flow the day I sold the Tiga, and love the Flow. But its Mistral, so their durability and warranty service are constantly and loudly cursed on rec.windsurfing. Mines held up fine after 10 times the use and 100 times the fun my Tiga got, and I jump several times per reach.

I STRONGLY suggest you try the board before buying it, especially after a well-known Gorge consignment shop wouldnt even accept the board because of its reputation ... which exactly matched my analysis.

Mike \m/
garypo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2000 12:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Looking for a board recommend Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your response. I have had the opportunity to try the board on a 35knot, rough water day and thought it to be the easiest board to sail in that wind that Ive tried. However, I agree that its a bear to slog on. I may go for it, however, as Ive not sailed a board that was so easy to sail comfortably in high winds; Ill just have to improve my slogging technique. What do you think?
joeyyyy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2000 1:23 am    Post subject: RE: Looking for a board recommend Reply with quote

I like that!!
If you can get the wind.
That in it-self is hard to do at times.
Zuni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2000 5:58 pm    Post subject: RE: Looking for a board recommend Reply with quote

If its the poly version be sure to check for heel dents and insert ripping. Tigas are notorious for it. Other than that its a pretty good board for all you mentioned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: