myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sandy Hook NJ Ocean Side question......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derikthin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Sandy Hook NJ Ocean Side question...... Reply with quote

Got out twice so far this week and was thinking about going out tomorrow also.

Going into the park yesterday I stopped at the entrance gate to ask if/where we were allowed to windsurf Oceanside and the young man behind the window didn't seem to have any idea. He knew that there were windsurfers on the Bay-side (which I was already aware of) but erred on the side of caution and said "I guess not".

I see people with surfboards over there all the time and was wondering if anyone knew where on "The Hook" we are allowed to launch Oceanside.

I googled and tried to investigate this and came across http://www.njwindsurfing.com/sites/ which says

"Sandy Hook Bay offers many launch sites from ocean sailing to bay sailing. Lot C is the most common location for NW, S and SE winds."

However does not mention where we are allowed to launch. I guess "C". Called the office at the park today and got a voicemail =/.

Anyways thanks for any info. Sorry for posting so much =(. I have a lot of time on my hands while I'm at work.
Derikthin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't figure out how to delete this post. I think I just came upon some information.

Sorry guys/gals.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy Hook Oceanside on a south/southeast wind is a big favorite of mine to sail. Most park rangers prefer that you don't sail Oceanside because they say it disturbs the Plovers. Kiting for this reason has been banned oceanside at the Hook and there are signs which state no kiting permitted. However, there are no signs or written rules that I've seen that ban windsurfing so we sail there without raising too many questions or drawing too much attention and for the most part no one bothers us. Everynow and then, a new ranger will stop us and we'll pack up and move to the bay but then give the ocean another try the following week and get no further hassles.

The place to launch from is the same Lot that provides access to the bayside launch - just park at the far southeast corner. You'll see a large stone boulder wall along the top of the dunes in front of this parking area - take a walk over and check out the beach. We launch and sail basically straight out from the opening in the fence in this southeast corner. On the beach, you'll see a small stone jetty to the right which you're not really supposed to go past during Plover nesting season so don't go past there. Way off to the north where the stone wall ends in a nice cove which is the designated swimming area - no windsurfing there - the rangers or police will definetly stop you. But this an excellent surfing spot when there's waves and its permitted.

Back to the ocean launch - best wind direction is south to southeast. Sometimes there's waves but usually it's pretty small in the summer months. But this makes for a great area to try for your first sail in the ocean. Usually nice clean rolling swell offshore making for fun jibes and swell riding. Be confident in your water starts and ability to stay upwind because you don't want to drift into the swimming beach - plus it could mean a long swim or rescue which could result in a ban on Oceanside access for windsurfing. Be mindful of the fisherman and avoid disrupting them - they can call for help if you ever need it or they can call the park police to have you ticketed so it's best to make friends with them. Best thermally enhanced winds come up around 3:00 pm if the forecast calls for south winds and will last typically to 6:30 -7:00. Typically it blows in the upper teens with gusts to low 20's so sails in the 6 meter range are typical with a nice floaty 100 liter board.

Rob
Derikthin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
Thank you so much! I had found an older post on this forum as I scrolled down further on my Google search and the man had touched briefly on where to park. However you did a much better job of clarifying where to go, what to expect, and where/what to avoid.

I'm probably not going to enter the Oceanside yet. I was just thinking if the wind was slower I'd attempt to get the long-board out and maybe roll onto a small wave or two.

Only reason I was really entertaining the idea was
A: To actually know if we can do it ocean side.
B: Wind tomorrow is supposed to be east NE and anywhere from 10-16 knots.

I don't really feel like dragging my wife down to Absecon tomorrow. I also don't want to cause any worries and ruin it for anyone else. So I might just huff down south or call it off and do something else with the Mrs's.

I was just watching some cool videos of people in low wind on long-boards riding some little waves today and though it would be neat.

Thanks again, and I will bank this info in the noggin for the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: