myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Steps to position board and sail while in the water

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Steps to position board and sail while in the water Reply with quote

Say I wipe out and I need to get my board in the other direction and/or my sail facing downwind so I can uphaul. What are the proper steps (or easiest way) to do so?
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you mean uphauling?

As you start to uphaul the rig drag it toward the back of your board. Don't pick the sail all the way up, especially if it is windy. Keep facing the rig by moving your feet as the board turns into the wind and keep your feet fairly close together. When the rig reaches the back of the board raise it slightly more & drag it across the tail. Once your rig is across the tail you will be dragging it towards the front. As the nose of your board starts to point to your new heading start to widen your feet & pull the rig higher out of the water as you finish your uphaul.

Coachg
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rent a video

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
I assume you mean uphauling?

As you start to uphaul the rig drag it toward the back of your board. Don't pick the sail all the way up, especially if it is windy. Keep facing the rig by moving your feet as the board turns into the wind and keep your feet fairly close together. When the rig reaches the back of the board raise it slightly more & drag it across the tail. Once your rig is across the tail you will be dragging it towards the front. As the nose of your board starts to point to your new heading start to widen your feet & pull the rig higher out of the water as you finish your uphaul.

Coachg

Thanks, great explanation. That's what I usually do and now realize it's a poorly worded question. Yesterday I was in the middle of the lake and 30+ mph winds kicked in. I couldn't do that technique. Even when I tried to uphaul the mast would get about a foot out of the water and I'd start going downwind (my boom had loosened, so the sail was slack which didn't help). I started swimming for about 15 minutes, then luckily was able to uphaul and gingerly sailed back. I had a good 200 yard swim then wade upwind to get back to my starting point.

There was only one other windsurfer out there and needed to get boat rescued. Although he started decades ago, he was on a narrower board and said he couldn't uphaul and wasn't able to water start.

U2U2U2 wrote:
Rent a video

Better advice would be "Take a lesson" Razz
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you windsurf?
Perhaps someone reading your posts would wander over and give you a few tips.
Or, perhaps, someone reading your posts have sailed there before, and give you further tips.
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Where do you windsurf?
Perhaps someone reading your posts would wander over and give you a few tips.
Or, perhaps, someone reading your posts have sailed there before, and give you further tips.

Raleigh, NC. I'm part of the club here and a member was nice enough to give me an intro lesson which helped tremendously. Another member taught me to beach start which I picked up quickly with his help, but I'm sure would have taken longer just watching a video. It's a pretty small club but everyone is pretty passionate about it and enjoy seeing others pick it up. Just not the best place in terms of wind.
When the wind is good most of the members drive 3-4 hours to the coast and do an overnight trip. I have an infant and 3 year old so tough to do at this point, but I plan on eventually doing some day trips, a club trip, and a lesson (or even better - a camp).

I also make 1-2 trips a year to Sebastian, FL and I know there's some good spots around there.
ctuna

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Better start working on your waterstarting Reply with quote

Better start working on your waterstarting
because when it gets really windy uphauling gets next
to impossible and is a very inefficient way to get up.
Especially in the chop and chaos associated with high winds.

But if you are in low winds and you don't want re position the
sail while you are in the water . If the sail is say upwind and
you want to get it downwind raise it out of the water a little
with your uphaul and let the wind spin the board around till the
sail is downwind in the classic uphaul position.

Also the shorter the board the more the nose will have the tendency
to turn up into wind when you are pulling the sail up.
Awalkspoiled

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In strong winds you always want to be pulling the mast toward the wind. That way, the wind can get under the sail and help you lift it. If you are in position to do so (any position except mast directly to windward of the board. If you’re in that position, see below), SWEEP the mast toward the wind pretty forcefully, keeping it pretty low. You’re not trying to uphaul at this point, just trying to get the leading edge of the sail about a foot or two above the water. As soon as the mast is two feet above the water, use the uphaul to LOWER IT BACK DOWN a foot or so. If you do this smoothly the wind will pop the whole boom up so that the sail is hovering almost horizontal a couple of feet above the water. Now lift it up smoothly just enough so that the clew is clear of the water and wait, facing square to the mast and holding the uphaul about halfway up - the wind will turn you to a squared-up position with the board at 90° to the wind and the sail weathervaning. Now uphaul quickly the rest of the way, slide the mast toward the bow with your front hand as you sheet in with your back hand and bear away to build up speed. All of this is done smoothly but decisively - no sudden jerks.

If you’re in the really awkward position mentioned above with mast dead upwind and in (or under) the water, it may be wisest to hop off and swim the board around until it’s pointing into or away from the wind and the mast is at 90° with the clew pointing downwind. Then use the technique I’ve outlined above.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If videos are confusing, so then the written word, this to me,, maybe my learning is different , as everyone curve is different.

I would suggest a way to drive the 400 mi from home to Hatteras, for a few days.

Understood family obligations... A priority

Cheers

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awalkspoiled wrote:
it may be wisest to hop off and swim the board around ...

The only place I swim my gear is to shore when the wind has quit. To re-orient it for uphauling or waterstarting I simply grab it, lay my torso and legs horizontally just beneath the surface, and rotate my whole body in a big circle as though spinning in an inner tube in the pool. This rotates my gear into position quickly and efficiently within a few circles and a whole lot less wasted energy.

WATCH OUT FOR THE FIN.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: