myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Palo Marin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
damel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing Palo Marin Reply with quote

Hey There,
Does anybody have some notes about windsurfing or kiteboarding Palo Marin or know some people who windsurf there regularly in the summer. I have surfed there a few times and recently ran into a windsurfer at Crissy who said he windsurfs there a lot. Might try this weekend if the ocean winds make it there.

The walk down looks like it would be gnarly with windsurfing gear but the guy I ran into said it isn't that bad. Probably won't kite there until I try windsurfing there and prefer windsurfing at spots like that anyways.

-damel

derekd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talk to kevin kan or leed
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the expert there. My buds have sailed it well over 300 days, I"m like 1/6 of that.
Medium tide rising is best. Long period WNW swell, bigger the better, is best.
Low and minus are fine if you're lightweight and don't sink the tail.
Two breaks, RoundRock and the Point, RR is more in the offshore wind, the wind that bounces along the cliffs and go off shore a bit, while the point is pure side on, tougher to go DTL, but longer, and very close to dry reef at anything near mid tides. Many have ground fins before making the bottom turn there.
I like it best early, when the winds first rise from 10 to planing speeds. It's the smoothest there, and if the winds are under 20, the offshore effect happens at Round Rock, and any stronger, the prevailing WNW just overpowers the reflection wind so it's a difficult but possible DTL ride
Best to clip the boom to the mastbase that is in the board, outhaul around the tail of the board or footstrap. Other hand carries the sail and boom, backpack for the wetsuit. That extra sail, if you want two, is REALLY heavy to carry back up the hill at the end of the day.
Burger and beer at Smilies at Bolinas, what a great drive home.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the Crissy sailor Jean Rathlie? He sailed there in the later '90's, well after I stopped going.
Kirby Ferris was the first, shop owner at StinsonBeach, who also windsurfed. I heard of Palo from AaronWright, the windsurf shop owner at Pedro Pt. who moved away down south, but came up for a visit on a day I sailed off State Park Sewers at Pedro Pt. He asked me why I was so dumb to sail there (offshore winds, rain, winter), when sideshores were at SanGreg, Pomp, and Pesc beach's. I had no good answer, except HMB was really only bay sailing, and OBSF was like 10' and rising, too much for my lack of skills. Shop owners, and shop emps, seem to stick together, so I got some local knowledge.
First sailed Palo alone in '88, well after Kirby had quit windsurfing there. I dropped by his shop a few times, but he just wasn't interested anymore, hinting at Duxbury and the middle reef at Agate, but didn't directly say anything of use. A pure surfer mentality, that one.
Had some really good solo days there, convinced Andrew, manager of City Front Sailboards to go there, and a Novato crew, plus 3 guys from Sacto sailed there regularly in the late '80';s to early '90's. Most of them learned of Palo from Windsports in the early '90's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: