myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
lake Isabella
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superkraut

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day use/camping fee is $10.-/day, Lake Permit is $30.-/operator/year
estherjibe

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: isabella Reply with quote

The forest service does not seem to be enforcing camping fees or cleaning the outhouse at the getto [all the other rest rooms are locked]. The water has been turned off by the dump station and there are mice and other rodents everywhere at night. So keep your doors shut, anything fabric [board bags, sails etc.] that is left outside at night will get eaten or occupied.
superkraut

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fyi: Forest Service summer staff has just been hired, so enforcement and maintenance will step up momentarily. The water being turned off at the dump station is due to a leaking valve, with the replacement expected in today. I was assured that it would all be operational again by the weekend.
As far as the mice: with the lake rising, we are moving into their territory - beware them particularly nibbling at things under your hood!!
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the mice and rodents, I guess someone like me with a full sized van will never know what's going on under the hood. Sounds like an overnight stay might be inviting trouble.
superkraut

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you eschew camping where mice are present, Steve, you rather limit your choices. I think a better approach is to come armed with yummy peanut butter in some clever trap or another
WindSapien

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of us windsurfers are on the cusp of Geezerdome so make it easy on yourself and stop by the Ranger Station and get your Senior Pass if you are 62 or older. No camping fees if you have this pass. It's also good for free admission and discounts on camping fees at National Parks such as Yosemite.
Got back on the water Monday for the first time in 2 yrs. A great first day back on a 5.2 and 90 ltr board. Just right. Got the Stoke back. A long time coming.
As far as the Mice are concerned, these Lake Isabella Mice have fangs and attitudes. So watch your toes people.
:wink:
dogalone

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the water is rising FAST; would be well advised to set up AT LEAST 20 feet back from edge, and be prepared to moved within 3 days
LHDR

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're thinking about going with young kids, perhaps this weekend. Will the lake be very crowded? I've seen nice pictures with kids in the water, is there a spot where all the kids go?

Of course, I would hope to windsurf a little bit but for non-windsurfing activities, I'm looking at rafting (although I called one of the places and their youngest age is 6) and hiking. Is there anything else in particular for kids to do?

There seem to be several camping options. Not sure if some of the campgrounds are nicer than others (for tents).
superkraut

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I post almost daily updates pertaining to windsurfing at Isabella to
https://www.facebook.com/groups/294638607227135/
WindSapien

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not very many Holiday Campers this year. Still spots next to water this am.
Not a breath of wind. Yesterday it blew in low teens for a short time then turned west as it often does when it heats up. Forecast is dismal this week.
Plenty of water but no wind. Pulling RV out tomorrow and heading to the River for some Kayaking.
The patrols have really stepped up and they are checking for camping permits. No fire restrictions at the lake yet other than the required fire permits which can be obtained at the Ranger Station.
I now remember why I don't camp at the Lake on major holidays.
Drunks, barking dogs ,loud music, encroachment, and trash.

Additionally I would like to personally extend my thanks to Eva for her tireless efforts to keep us informed about the Lake conditions and for all the sight unseen tasks she performs such as picking up trash, glass, fire pit debris,unofficial events and gatherings and so forth. The Rangers I have spoken to all have a high opinion of her and she has been a great laison to the Forestry on our behalf. We all owe her a debt of gratitude.
She's a tough German Lady with a Heart of Gold.
Thanks again Eva......WS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: