myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
US Windsurfing Nationals May 11-14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
konajoe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When going upwind on a Kona in CC Bay in 20 - 25, you'd be almost airborne over every wave. Kinda fun.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
When going upwind on a Kona in CC Bay in 20 - 25, you'd be almost airborne over every wave. Kinda fun.

Yep, I agree!!

I only have a have a few afternoon's experience ever, sailing a Kona One.
And they were "very light" wind sessions, during a week, last summer in Seattle.
But I also got an hour sailing it... in solid 15-20 mph wind, in Hood River that same week.

However I have sailed a raceboard upwind in 20 - 25 a handful of times. So I know what you're talking about.

I hope we get 1 day to do that in Corpus, cause yeah it's a blast.
And I'm just being selfish, hoping there's only 1 day like that (cause of my knees)... everybody else will want all 4 days like that, LOL

If it's WINDY I'll split my time between longboard Kona sailing and shortboard sailing and hanging out on the beach. Just looking forward to a big road trip, seeing a lot of new country, meeting some new people, and sailing a bit in famous Corpus Christi.

thombiz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind predictions for May 11 and beyond are starting to show up here:
https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/78415:4:US
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, SE winds are typical and are side shore at the race site.
konajoe

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any comments from folks who went?
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We still have a couple days driving to get home... but here are some answers to your question.

The Corpus Christi race organizer's along with the US Windsurfing Assoc. did a GREAT job.
At least that's what me and my sailing bud thought (and also heard similar comments from other's).

Unfortunately (as often happens for windsurfing events) the wind didn't cooperate as well as it could've. I've seen this before in 30 years. Even when events are held in traditionally windy locations, it often happens that the wind blows GREAT before and after the event, but is less than great, during the event Sad

Organizer's did great, getting as many races run as practical... and watched updated forecasts, to allow as many different diciplines to race as possible. The different types of competition that had a good number of participants show up, were - Slalom... Kona longboard... Formula... Raceboard longboard... and Freestyle.
Great efforts were made to get all these classes, time to compete.
Of course in our sport, you also need wind to "do your thing".

Another point I liked, and the reason I made the effort to attend... was they planned racing for boards which work in lighter wind, early in the day. And boards which work in higher wind, later in the day. Because they know, this is how typical Corpus wind works daily.
Those of us that like longboards, know they work in light and strong wind. But also know that shortboards work better in strong wind, so had no problem with this schedule.

So - Kona and Formula and Raceboard were scheduled for the first part of the day. Then a good break, so those same people could get their shortboards ready for the slalom or freestyle later.
(Of course, many people only chose to do one thing. But that was their choice. Most people couild've sailed all day long, if the wind cooperated.)

What really happened?
(This is just what I recall, other's can add their perspective.)

On the first day, of this four day event... forcasts said the first day would be the windiest.
And the second day would be less, but still decent.
And the the third and fourth day would be lighter.
Of course, know one REALLY knows... and some said "each day would get good wind".
Anyway, with a strong forecast for day 1... everybody agreed to run as many slalom heats as possible. People felt confident there would more days of slalom... but yes, take advantage of good wind on day 1 to get some good slalom done.
Note - You can sail any kind of board through a slalom course, and the Race Committee (RC) said, of course, "sail whatever you want".
(Editorial here - I think most people are like me, they just want to sail and participate. Yes, they will try their best. But we have no illusions of winning first place. We want to race and have fun, and learn new things, and meet new people... and for many of us, it's a chance to see and sail in a new location. Of course, there are other's who have the ability to win first place, and they are very competitive, and have the highest expectations. But that is not the majority of the people there.)
So... it's pretty cool... that a guy with a longboard, can sail side by side in a slalom race with the guy who won first place in Slalom Nationa's last year!!!l
And THAT was Day 1.

Day 2 - Was decent wind for the first part of the day. Races were run for Kona - Raceboard - Formula.
And after a break, the wind picked up some... and a very fun Long Distance Race was held. Again, just like slalom, you can sail any board you want in a Long Distance race. And there were lots of longboards racing with the shortboards... and even a couple of "newbies" (named Tyson and Wyatt) on a tandem!!
All "that" filled up Day 2.

Day 3 - Light wind all day, there was hope that it would build enough for slalom and shortboard freestyle later in the day, but that didn't happen.
Kona and Raceboard and Formula races were held.

Day 4 - Expectations were the same as day 3. However, the WIND didn't show. So again, longboards got the most racing.
Everybody sailing longboards, got ALL the racing they wanted over the 4 days!!
One Design races... longboards in slalom... longboards in Long Distance. Those guys got more miles of sailing, than anyone else.

In the end, I had a great time. I wished there'd been more wind, so I could sail the shortboards I carried with me. But anyway, I did get to sail them some. And the Kona kit I chartered was super fun. I sailed it in all the Kona One design races with many VERY talented Kona one design racers. I sailed my shortboard in the Long Distance race (first time I've done one of those).

Note - MANY very skilled Kona longboard sailors, sailed ONLY those boards, all 4 days!
From dawn to dusk, they worked. There were tons of Kona's in the slalom races... and in the Long DIstance race.
Personally, I feel bad for "slalom board" only racers... and "shortboard freestyle" only racers

gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. Continued.
I felt bad for those that only signed up to race shortboards... cause we didn't get very much of the typically great Corpus wind!!!
Anyway, I didn't hear any complaints. Experienced sailors know, it's no ones fault. Just the way Mother Nature works some times.

And the longboard courses were all upwind / downwind... set by professionals to current standards. They were long courses (I thought) and allowed for all the tactics and strategy and skills... that are fun to work on, for course racing.

The RC had a huge # of wonderful volunteers. We didn't have as much wind as Corpus normally does... but the whole program was a GREAT deal... and I'd say lots of windsurfer's would have an awesome time joining in !!
There's lots more... but I'm still traveling.
Greg Smile

gvogelsang

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

Thanks for the report. Just goes to show that sailing a longboard/Kona never gets old. It's all good.
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't someone on this thread get a 1st in one of the Kona races? How did that happen?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: