myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
BONAIRE OR ARUBA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nichols

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2000 10:37 am    Post subject: RE: BONAIRE OR ARUBA? Reply with quote

SYLVAIN,

I WATERSTART PRETTY WELL,EVEN IN LITE AIR,I CAN RIDE THE HARNESS AND CAN GET THE FRONT STRAP AND SOME TIMES THE BACK.I CAN PIVOT JIBE IN LITE AIR,BUT CANT SEEM TO DO IT WHEN ITS REALY BLOWING,AND I HAVE NO PROBLEM SAILING ALL POINTS.THANKS FOR YOUR HELP WIND DOG
Nichols

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2000 10:45 am    Post subject: RE: BONAIRE OR ARUBA? Reply with quote

SYLVAIN,I RIDE A 125 LIT. BOARD AND A 7.O N.P V6 IN 15-25 MPH MOST OF THE TIME.
P.S,MY USER NAME CHANGED,I,WAS WINDDOG!
THANKS AGAIN
spyder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2000 7:28 pm    Post subject: RE: BONAIRE OR ARUBA? Reply with quote

I really think Bonaire is best for you. It is great for the first time windsurfer, or up to intermediate windsurfer...advanced windsurfer will hone skills but most likely will be bored, but adequate beer intake will solve that. lots to do on the island..less populated than ARuba. The windsurfing in my opinion is WAY better on Bonaire.. no wind shadows..yes the wind is less, but not gusty. and not crowded. you wont get run over by power boats..and no reefs to run into. its great to learn new stuff there..jibes, duck jibes, fast tacks..you name it. plus great scuba diving and hiking in the park. also caves, great isolated drives around the coast...good picture taking.. flamingos all over.. its cool. I recommend Bonaire.
kipps

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2000 1:40 pm    Post subject: RE: BONAIRE OR ARUBA? Reply with quote

Dear WindDog or Nichols...

I went to both places earlier this year (back-to-back), and found them to be vastly different--both sailing- and otherwise...

Lets take care of the sailing first. Based on where youre at skill-wise, Bonaire may be the better choice for you. The sailing site is less crowded than in Aruba. Theres a good couple of square miles of thigh-to-waist-deep water on which to practice jibing or other transitions without wearing yourself out repositioning gear and waterstarting every time you blow one. Good instructions is available, albeit not Dasher-status. The wind is more steady (less gusty) and on-shore (as opposed to off-shore), if a bit less strong.

As for the non-sailing aspect, it really comes down to the type of experience youre looking for. Bonaire is much less developed than Aruba, less populated, and less of a tourist destination. Theres a lot of nightlife in Aruba, vs. hardly any in Bonaire. At all times in Bonaire you do feel as though you have left the U.S., unlike in Aruba--particularly around the sailing site, which can have a little bit of a Vegas on the Caribbean feel. In short, Aruba is very much of a party type of destination, Bonaire is laid-back--reaaally laid-back.

Hope this helps. I wish you a great trip. Im confident youll have a good time regardless of your choice, and youll come back a much-improved and stoked sailor.

-Kipps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: