myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
paranoid lunatics should not be windsurfing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mschwartz2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2000 1:47 am    Post subject: paranoid lunatics should not be windsurfing Reply with quote

I have sailed at Cabrillo for the past 8 years and shower every time I go. Yes, there are hispanics there and possibly even homeless people using the showers, but I have never noticed anyone leering at me, nor have I ever been accosted by anyone there. I would suggest you see a shrink prior to any future trips to Cabrillo in order to help you with your paranoid, self-indulgent racist fears and possibly allow you to concentrate more on windsurfing!
joeyyyy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2000 2:17 am    Post subject: RE: paranoid lunatics should not be windsurfing Reply with quote

YO dude! Like chill out!!
I think you want the venting forum. anyway, If people go there and there cars are being broken into and gear etc. is stolen, then that would warrent a little caution. As far as the showers, well I saw them and no thanks. I am not paranoid or stupid.
joehardcore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2000 12:02 pm    Post subject: RE: FEAR AND LOATHING IN SAN PEDRO Reply with quote

I couldnt agree more, Joeyyyy, and whats more; anybody who is STILL regularly sailing at that sewer of a beach after eight years needs to have his head checked. There are other sailing spots around LA that are not overrun by pollution, vagrants and thieves. I love these Cabrillo sailors that act like it doesnt get any better. Youve been breathing smog and smelling all that sewage for so long that you dont know any better, holmes.

As for being a racist, let me assure you that nothing could be further from the truth. When you respond to a post, make sure you really read it first. A vagrant is a vagrant no matter what their ethnicity might be. I have tried and tried to only concentrate on sailing when at Cabrillo, but have come to the conclusion that it is impossible. The smell of the water is unbearable and this alone is enough to completely distract me from enjoying myself. When you add to that all of the hazards that the local thief/junkie types bring to the table, not to mention the scenic backdrop of LA harbor with its panamax cargo ships trolling around, its amazing anybody sails that seething biohazard of a beach at all. Then again, if persistant sinus infections and chollera are your bag, then by all means, sail at Cabrillo.

Am I paranoid? Maybe so dude. But Ill tell you what; I grew up in NYC and over the years I learned that it is quite prudent to be on the lookout for shady characters when you find yourself in a low income urban community. Call me a snob or a racist or what have you, but keep in mind that Ive never been robbed or shot, and Ive spent time in places that make Cabrillo look like the happiest place on earth.
joeyyyy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2000 9:07 pm    Post subject: RE: FEAR AND LOATHING IN SAN PEDRO Reply with quote

Yeah!! Thats right! and when you think of it, we as windsurfers, had to spend Much money to get into and do this, so when going there or any other low income type of invirement we for the most part are advertising that we have money to spare so ofcoarse are cars will be broken into, and what not. I think advertising to people less fortunate and possibly desprit would be a bad idea, not to mention the health risks and even injury that may result if getting in the way of a desprit person. besides, that place is not worth it. There is Much Much (on a completly higher scale) Much and Much again better places just a few hours away. Like ventura or leo carillo or My favorite place lake isabella. the list goes on and just keeps getting better. so I think if 8 years in a sewer is what they like, then the sewer most deffinately is effecting their brain cells. they need help (anti sewer drugs) and theripeudic treatment (like a trip to the gorge or maui). then just maybe they would be able to regain some of their sence of smell to notice the stench from that sewer. if not then oh well life goes on..
jwajack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2000 8:07 pm    Post subject: RE: FEAR AND LOATHING IN SAN PEDRO Reply with quote

As Joeyyy and JoeHardCore attempt to point out, one aspect of paranoia is a fear (or belief) of something that does not really exist. The funny thing is, of course, that their statements prove the initial post.

First, with regard to the water quality, smell, etc., take a look at the Heal the Bay website which shows that Cabrillo Beach (ocean side) routinely tests in the A, A+ range. Its highly doubtful that when you sail at Cabrillo it the water youre smelling. It may, however, be your wetsuit: I suggest that you wash it after you piss in it.

Second, as for the wind conditions at Cabrillo vs. elsewhere in the LA area, the CoTW/iWindsurf charts speak for themselves -- Cabrillo, on average, has the best wind in the LA area. Certainly if you are on a disability check because of your schizophrenia or paranoia, you have time to drive several hours to Isabella (which has a much shorter season, but can be good when it blows) or further north. But dont venture too far north, because if you get to Crissy, Candlestick, 3rd Avenue, the Gorge, etc., youll have to be in waters shared by commercial traffic, and that might be upsetting.

Third, with regard to the racism issue, perhaps youre right, youre not a racist, just very classist -- you cant fathom spending time in the same location as persons with less means. While it would be ridiculous to deny that there are vagrants at Cabrillo (RastaMan, for instance), check out almost any beach in Southern California and youll find vagrants. Beyond that, however, the primary beach population at Cabrillo, other than windsurfers and, on the inside, jet skiers, are low-income families you have traveled down the 110 to enjoy a day at the beach. Many of them enjoy watching the windsurfers, but you wouldnt know that unless you talked to them. But it seems that youre too busy talking to the voices in your head to hear the real voices (or see the real people) at Cabrillo.

All that said, however, I dont think Ill miss you or your attitude if you keep your promise to stay away.
joeyyyy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2000 10:00 pm    Post subject: RE: FEAR AND LOATHING IN SAN PEDRO Reply with quote

very clever! I Admire your ability to type a well spoken message.
Howeverrrrr, I think you just got too used to the smell there to notice it.
A good example would be women and there perfume:
Many women will put on perfume a little in the begining and later when they get used to it they put on more. pretty soon your complaining about how much they bath in it when ever your within 10 feet of them.
I dont sail there, I went one time and that was my impression of the place (first impressions are important if not accurate).
as far as pissing in wetsuit, I dont. if you do then that would explain why you think the smell there is normal.
as for comercial trafic:
well yeah big ships and and small water craft dont mix well but the lack of nausia does help ones mind stay clear and more able to avoid disaster.
and as far as the lower income families that enjoy watching the windsurfers: Thats great, those same families are not the problem, its the scum that breaks into your car and steals your stuf that I am not interested in. and that scum just so happens to hang at cabrillo.
So if you like it there, then good. what ever floats your boat. none the less,
Happy sailing to you!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: