myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Titanium boom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hamblett

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2000 10:02 pm    Post subject: Titanium boom Reply with quote

I might have the opportunity to get my hands on some 1 dia. Ti tubing and am thinking of having our machine shop bend me up a boom.

Depending on how much material I can get, Im thinking of making it a fixed end at first to possibly match a couple of my favorite sail specs.

The problem that I think I might run in to is with the front end. I took a look at windance.com for front ends and found a nice Chinook one for $27!

Only problem is that I want my boom to be one continuous piece from clew tip to clew tip with a welded spreader holding the ends apart and providing a place to attach my outhaul. I dont want to cut the material at the front end to suffice a mast clamp. Suggestions?

If all else fails, Ill design my own boom front end and go that route.

Questions... How does Ti hold up to Salt water? Do you think a 1 Ti tube will be as stiff or as light as a Fiberspar all carbon of similar size?

As far as hand grips go, thats not my main concern for right now. I Can always figure that part out later. I am more interested in whether or not Im just going to be wasting very expensive material.

Later.
Adam
joeyyyy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2000 12:29 am    Post subject: RE: Titanium boom Reply with quote

Well, It sounds easy enough. You might try just taking an already made boom front that you can shave the front off of. then just place your preshaped boom tubing over the exposed boom front that you previously just shaved. I havnt looked at the boom fronts now offered, but I sware Ive seen a front that had a streaght front that the tubing would pivot on. you can just make a half circle clamp like the ones that are used to hold crank shafts in a motor. just make them from matieral simular to the boom front and at a length same to the shaved section that your boom tubing is set in. Its an Idea!! it might not be the best, but an idea to start from. good luck...
bmergen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2000 2:42 pm    Post subject: RE: Titanium boom Reply with quote

Let me start by saying Im not trying to be a wet blanket, but it sounds like a lot of trouble. Unless the tubing is coming to you at no cost, its also probably a waste of money. The use of titanium over carbon has no advantages that I can see. The modulus of elasticity (fancy technical term for a materials stiffness) of carbon fiber can easily be 6 times greater (or more) than Ti. Carbon fiber also has a tensile strenght 4 times (or more) greater than Ti. And to boot, its about half the weight, give or take. So, to recap, Carbon is stiffer, stronger, and lighter. You also have to consider your own time... how much is it worth? However, it sounds like a fun project to me, one I would take on myself if I could get the materials dirt cheap. I love to fool around with stuff like that. Sorry I dont have any advice about how to fabricate the boom. Im new to the windsurfing seen so w/o having some gear in front of me to look at I cant really offer any suggestions. I apologize if I was discouraging. At least your a bit more educated now about how the two materials compare. Good luck! Let us know haw it turns out.
hamblett

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2000 8:20 pm    Post subject: RE: Titanium boom Reply with quote

I can probably get the material for nothing. I wouldnt attempt this project otherwise. I might still try it for a smaller boom but not a larger one.

I talked to one of our material engineers and he mentioned the same thing you did.

Id hate to scrap the material if it didnt work though. We have a bunch of Ti tubing that was ordered and never used for the Launch Vehicle were building.

I was also thinking of building a carbon board because we have access to large thermal vacuums, mold release, etc. but I dont think I can get the actual carbon material for cheap enough.

Oh well.
bmergen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2000 8:57 am    Post subject: RE: Titanium boom Reply with quote

Where do you work? It sounds like a great place. Ive always wanted to try making something out of carbon myself, but without access to any of the equipment you mentioned, it really doesnt make any sense. As for the Ti tubing, if its being given away, you might as wall take it. A lot of big companies would rather get rid of stuff like that than worry about storing/returning it. You can always save it for another project. I picked up a 430V/5hp electric motor that way where I had an internship. It was ordered then forgotten about for so long no one knew what it was for. It was on its way to the dump (no lie) in all of its original packaging! I couldnt let that happen so I loaded all 100 lb. of it into the back of my car and took it home. Oh well...
Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: