myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best Maui Spot for Advanced Beginners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moonchild27

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2000 6:07 pm    Post subject: Best Maui Spot for Advanced Beginners Reply with quote

I am going to Maui third week in September. I can sail but I am not yet harnassed in and I am also trying to advance my water starts to over my head but havent yet mastered it. Where would be the best place for me to go where there was a decent walk of shame if I couldnt sail back up wind and maybe where it is shallow. Also, where might the best place to rent adv. beg. equiptment? How about any really great instructors?
spyder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2000 12:34 am    Post subject: RE: Best Maui Spot for Advanced Beginners Reply with quote

HST is the major instructor business. You can call Hi Tech for lessons. Run by Alan Cadiz.

I suggest Kananha. It is a bit tough, but you can start out either in 2 places, the first beach
(lower Kanaha), where the wind is a bit less, or upper kanaha (kooks), in the far end where the wind is less, and water is flatter. Kanaha is right behind the airport. Although it is a bit rough, I think you can keep it close to shore and not have a big problem. Its side on, unlike kihei, which is total side shore.

go for it! try HST for lessons.
stumpp

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2000 7:00 pm    Post subject: RE: Best Maui Spot for Advanced Beginners Reply with quote

Ditto for HST, but make an appt. in advance. Try and schedule any waterstart lessons early in your visit because thats pretty much a requirement to sail anywhere on maui (also, have the lesson early in the PM, because the wind can veer offshore on the north shore in the late PM and make lessons on the beach a bit more difficult. Dont sail at Kehei because its side off and the next stop may be guam in a breakdown... Just got back from 2 weeks -- it was wonderful. Have fun!
shredjules

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2000 11:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Best Maui Spot for Advanced Beginners Reply with quote

I was in the same spot 3 years ago! I had to learn to w-start at Maui!!! Yes, I got blown down wind - then I discovered pre-11am lessons! The wind is just kicking up and the instructors rule the beaches! You just have to discipline yourself off the Mai-tais the night before! (I brought my instructor with me, unfortunately for you). But yes, Kanaha! I got totally frustrated at Kihei (where we stayed) and I wanted to QUIT! Go when the waters are calm so you can get the pattern. Have a blast! Wish I was there!

Jules
greasemonkey7598

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2000 3:59 pm    Post subject: RE: Best Maui Spot for Advanced Beginners Reply with quote

Take lessons at HST, Owned by Alan Cadiz. Ask for an instructor named Halby. Hes great, Youll be waterstarting in no time
kipps

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2000 1:50 pm    Post subject: RE: Best Maui Spot for Advanced Beginners Reply with quote

Agree with the other comments. Sail Kanaha, take lessons with HST (pre-11AM, before the wind gets too strong). Book your lessons in advance so that you can have them as soon as you arrive on Maui, as waterstarting is fairly critical there.

As far as the walk of shame... your lessons will probably at Kooks Cove, which gives you a lot of room to drift downwind before the swim area and walk back up on a sandy beach... But you know what? You wont be the only one doing it... Just got back from a weeks sailing there and every time I launched or came in to the beach, there were 2 or 3 people walking their gear upwind--and not always the same 2 or 3.

Have a great time. Maui is awesome.

-Kipps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: