myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Help me plan my honeymoon!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerlane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2000 10:08 am    Post subject: Help me plan my honeymoon! Reply with quote

Hey everybody. Im getting married next spring and am planning my honeymoon. I love to windsurf, but my fiance does not. I would love a beach environment with plenty of other activities like snorkeling, kayaking etc. We would like to go for 10-14 days. Any thoughts? I was thinking about Maui, Belize, Costa Rica, or anywhere else that sounds good. I would love to hear about other peoples experiences. We are thinking about possibly fall or winter.
Thanks for the info!
spyder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2000 10:42 am    Post subject: RE: Help me plan my honeymoon! Reply with quote

Unfortunately, fall and winter are the worst times for wind. I would say Maui then. I was going to suggest Bonaire, if you or she scuba dives. Bonaire is great for scuba, windsurfing, hiking, and good restaurants. very peaceful.
but the wind is not a good thing in the fall/ winter because of the hurricane season, and lulls in the trades.

spring/summer are best for most places.
jerlane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2000 10:18 am    Post subject: RE: Help me plan my honeymoon! Reply with quote

We may go in early june, right after the wedding. We are flexible. Id love to hear more about Bonaire and specific places to stay.
Thanks!
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2000 1:33 pm    Post subject: RE: Help me plan my honeymoon! Reply with quote

Morritts Tortuga Club (www.caymans.com) on Grand Cayman Island is an idyllic choice. Their windy season is winter, it offers some of the best snorkeling and SCUBA diving in the world, is right on a perfect white beach on breezy lagoon with full onshore wind exposure (15-20 mph breezes very common in winter). Lessons for her right outside your condo, on flat water in the lagoon in onshore breezes, with the open ocean just a gap in the reef away for you. Theres quite a bit else to see and do in the Caymans. Even the turtle farm is surprisingly interesting. Do NOT stay on 7-Mile Strip on the wesr end. Its just a tourist zoo with gusty offshore winds.

I advise against Maui in the summer for a honeymoon, if you want her to enjoy the trip as much as you do.

Mike \m/
spyder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2000 3:20 pm    Post subject: RE: Help me plan my honeymoon! Reply with quote

mikes suggestion is very good. As for Bonaire, the windy season is decent from Feb - getting even better through July. After that I would stay away from the carribean during the hurricane season (our fall).

Bonaire is excellent from many aspects: great food, many things to do, very good diving,isolated & safe beaches, not crowded, easy & fun windsurfing

check out: http://www.tropicalislandvacation.com/bonaire.html

Windsurfing: either Jibe City (fun and kickback place), or, Bonaire Windsurfing Place
(listed in Windsurfer mag)

Accomodations: call Great Southern Vacations
(listed in Windsurfer mag). Most are good, only 1 place real close to the windsurfing, but its a fun and short drive over the island from the town. One place is Sandcastle resort. but there are more quaint and cozy places around too.

anyway, I can look up the places I stayed and make more suggestions if needed. let me know.

I have always had a very relaxing and fun time in Bonaire. It is a great place to work on basic windsurfing (jibes) under mellow and consistent conditions.
Bonaire is unique in the sense that the diving is fun, as well as the island itself has many things to do (biking, caves, hiking, sailing, interesting past, and a lot more)
spyder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2000 1:35 am    Post subject: RE: Help me plan my honeymoon! Reply with quote

Well, to be clear, Aruba is higher wind, but much gustier, and off shore. Bonaire is pure trades, side- on shore. If you want screamin flat sailing Aruba is better, but if you want more relaxed atmosphere, Bonaire is better. Ive been to both places, and prefer Bonaire for a number of reasons: 1). the wind is steady (but lighter), 2). the wind is side-onshore, 3). much less congested, 4). no wind shadows, 5). no touristy gambling crap, 6). much better diving.

I found Aruba very annoying. The hotels are all over, creating huge wind shadows..esp the Marriott. It truely sucks. Also I almost got run over by a power boat. they are all over, and dont look. Reefs are easy to hit there. The winds are high, but very gusty. Also there are all kinds of water activities going on in Aruba, where only windsurfers are present in Bonaire.

Arubas diving is no where near the level of Bonaire. Also Aruba is a overpopulated island that is messed up. Although, if you like nightlife, Aruba is better. But Bonaires nightlife isnt too bad, just mellow. Food I think is about the same.

So IMHO, Aruba is good if you want high gusty off shore winds..and Bonaire is good if you want lighter, steady, side-onshore. Bonaire is certainly more tranquil.

It comes down to what you want.

I went to Aruba once and hated it, I went to Bonaire 4 times.
realkitty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2000 10:58 am    Post subject: RE: Help me plan my honeymoon! Reply with quote

Check out the Trip Report on La Ventana, Baja posted by GBloom on 5/4. Lots of alternative activities...
realkitty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2000 11:01 am    Post subject: RE: Help me plan my honeymoon! Reply with quote

FYI: Southern Baja is excellant in winter, check out La Ventana and/or Los Barilles, Baja.
Danman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2000 12:11 am    Post subject: RE: Help me plan my honeymoon! Reply with quote

Dude:

Let me give you a little advice. Dont get up the next day after your honeymoon and race to the window to see if there are whitecaps. My wife is always suspicious of the windy mistress.

You want to have a happy marriage, give your wife a honeymoon to remember and try not to ignore her when it comes to out of control, going off, kick ass sessions in the water. Im still trying to figure it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: