myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
South Padre Island/Corpus Christi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paige.one

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2000 8:40 pm    Post subject: South Padre Island/Corpus Christi Reply with quote

We took up windsurfing this spring and want to take a week in October to head for somewhere warm and windy (with our small children, so no, it wont be Aruba$$$!) to make some substantial progress. Heard South Padre/Corpus Christi might be good. Can anyone tell us of a good spot to go, or whether we should go there at all? Thanks!
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2000 11:31 pm    Post subject: RE: South Padre Island/Corpus Christi Reply with quote

Corpus Christi aka NORTH Padre Island is one of the continents best two spots for learning to windsurf, and Oct CAN be very good. Its noted for very steady modest breezes, usually in the teens all day and subteens all night, plus a blast or four per month if fronts pass through. Chest-deep warm water as far as the eye can see (at Bird Island Basin, your sailing spot, and a real town nearby for something to do when its not breezy and for some great food options. Oct weather is nice, too -- the unbearable heat and humidity of summer and late spring will be gone, making for some pretty good camping. If campings not your thing, lodging is cheap.

Mike \m/
fleury13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2000 2:02 am    Post subject: RE: South Padre Island/Corpus Christi Reply with quote

Ive windsurfed on and off in the past, but since Ive been in San Antonio, my number one weekend destination has been bird island basin in the padre island national seashore park in corpus christi. The water is flat in the summer, wind is usually 15-25 from the SE (offshore. Winds can be iffy in the fall since the winds become more front driven and come from the north. But I love it cause you park on the beach, jump out, rig and hit the water!! People are nice and respectfully, quiet at night, lots of kids, and camping. And theres a rental place right on the beach. Although her place might not be open in Oct. But theres another place to get equipment if you need it in Corpus.
looploop

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2000 1:52 pm    Post subject: South Padre Island/Corpus Christi where to rent? Reply with quote

Can you tell me if I find a place where I can rent windsurfing gear over X-mas?
Many thanks
Christian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: