myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pluses and minuses - going from Firemove 122 to Rocket 125?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scuppers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gvogelsang: you might be right about suggesting a 115 size - but I don't feel confident enough of my ability to balance on such a narrow (66cm) board yet. Still a bit of a newbie (1 year) although very enthusiastic. My other boards so far have all been either 80 or 79cm. But hey, I'll have to develop balance on a narrow board or I'll never get down to the good sizes for high wind! Hence my switch to the Rocket (69cm) from the 122 Firemove(79cm). Maybe I could've made the jump from 79 to 66 though. I'll let everyone know how I get on with the Rocket 125 when it gets here - if I go sailing again this year! Getting kinda chilly for my short sleeve wetsuit, but I may brave the icy waters one or two more times before I pack it in for the winter!
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TemperTantrum wrote:
Gvogelsang: you might be right about suggesting a 115 size - but I don't feel confident enough of my ability to balance on such a narrow (66cm) board yet. Still a bit of a newbie (1 year) although very enthusiastic. My other boards so far have all been either 80 or 79cm. But hey, I'll have to develop balance on a narrow board or I'll never get down to the good sizes for high wind! Hence my switch to the Rocket (69cm) from the 122 Firemove(79cm). Maybe I could've made the jump from 79 to 66 though. I'll let everyone know how I get on with the Rocket 125 when it gets here - if I go sailing again this year! Getting kinda chilly for my short sleeve wetsuit, but I may brave the icy waters one or two more times before I pack it in for the winter!

You have made the best choice.

The 125 will give you the ability to up haul in case you need to.

I forget that I started on one of the original Windsurfers; got bored for a couple of years until I was able to try someones Mistral Malabu (kick up dagger board, fully battened sail, foot straps) down in Nantucket. I got real interested again.

I didn't water start until one time on the old windsurfer, on Lake Sebring in FL, I was backwinded and ended up in the water, but held the sail up over my head, and was able to let the wind get me back up on the board. I had seen guys water start on Lake Erie, but hadn't done it myself.

After the water start epiphany, I was able to transition to smaller boards. You will to0. Getting your water starts dialed will be pretty easy, at some point. I actually think that water starting a Firemove is easier that water starting a more traditional freeride board, because the Firemove is thinner.

You'll have a great time on the Rocket next year, and then you'll be ready for something smaller.

When I was younger and so so serious, I actually had a couple of Hi-tec wave boards, which were good for 4.5 conditions. I don't do 4.5 conditions these days. You might!

I am going to get something like a Tabou 3s so that I can enjoy the occasional 25 mph day where I sail. I have a lot of experience, but at 63 I am a bit old, have a full time job, a 7 handicap at golf, a titanium road bike, and only sail when the conditions are good. That could change!
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you guys start talking 25 to 30 mph, I'm thinking 85 liters or less. A 115 Rocket or any board that big will just beat you up....
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TemperTantrum wrote:
Getting kinda chilly for my short sleeve wetsuit, but I may brave the icy waters one or two more times before I pack it in for the winter!

You're gonna quit now over a couple of hundred dollars?
http://www.backcountry.com/mens-wetsuits?s=a
The only weather that counts is the weather next to your skin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: