myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
California costal windsurfing in December
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brettn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jalama Beach. Good tip. Thanks. Looks like I might even get a camp site there.

Yup, definitely bringing a surf board and won't be upset if it turns into a surf trip.

As for which part of the state, I suppose I'd drive I-5 until I'm out from under the jet stream, then switch over to the coast.

Clearly for windsurfing April would be better, but December and January are my dead months for work.

Thanks for all the info, guys.
churan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing is for sure if you don't bring sailing gear it is sure to blow.
Cant go wrong packing it on the 5th wheel. The coast can get good NW days in the greater bay area and even southerly storm wind. Count on it being big but that is the point. I recall a DEC 16 was one years best day. Also a Jan 1-2-3 that blew all three days in a row NW perfect side shore at waddell. Best of luck.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, warm ocean temps equal El Nino.
More stronger storms coming in, often back to back, meaning S winds and rising swells. Couple days after the storm, the swells recede.
Storm winds are usually South, with some cold ones ESW, some warm pacific pineapple's SW. Find beach's facing W for sideshore winds.
NW clearings will be fewer in the winter, longer and stronger in the spring.
Lots of surfing spots, like PedroPt., favor S winds for offshore and usually small waves.
Still, California coast is huge, and you have to pinoint your windsurfing with something for the family to do, and where to stay?
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jalama would probably be fun.

You also might spend a good part of your time in Santa Cruz County. Look at a map of the coast in that vicinity. The Monterey Bay is a big half-round bite out of the coast. There are lots of State Parks around it and up the coast. Because of all of the different directions of the coast, you can pick your spot for waves and wind angles. Admittedly it is not perfect as the mountains affect the wind significantly, but in winter it does provide options.

Consider camping at New Brighton State Park. It is an easy jump to many surf breaks and many windsurfing locations. Winter will still be a pot shot for windsurfing, but you will no doubt score on some great surfing.

Coastanoa may be another good option for camping.

Some breaks can get crowded, but some are not. Willingness to paddle or drive a bit can pay off big.

I never put my windsurfing gear away where I cannot get to it in ten minutes.
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing. You can buy a yearly pass for State Park access for about $120.00. It may sound high for your stay, but you may hit three parks a day and at $10.00 per entry, you will likely come out ahead with the pass.

Some of the parks have redwood trail and waterfall hiking and mountain biking and just plain messing around in the woods. Things to do when there are no waves or wind.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, State Park pass is handy if you want to sail on the coast.
Pomponio, Pescadero, SanGregorio, Venice, SnowWhite all get pure sideshore just before and during rain storms, S winds.
OBSF does also, but rising swell quicker than you'd believe might become a problem.
Stinson is not a State Beach can get sideshore S winds.
Those are CenCal, just N of SantaCruz, S of TomalesBay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: