myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jones Beach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimlarsen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2000 11:43 am    Post subject: Jones Beach Reply with quote

The Jones Beach/Nuclear Alley area on the lower Columbia will soon have a sensor. It used to be such a crowded place to sail. Yesterday I sailed a 5.0, then a 4.4, then finally a 3.9, and shared the water with three other guys. I guess the crowd must have gone to the gorge. Maybe a sensor at the site will bring back some more sailors.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2000 2:10 pm    Post subject: RE: Jones Beach Reply with quote

Uhhhh ... why would anyone want more sailors on the Columbia? I agree that solo sailing is slightly spooky, but 3-4-5 is a great number. Count your blessings.

Now, on LAND at Jones Beach, a crowds good protection from the aggressive local thugs. Ive not sailed there for several years now, partly because of the local thug activity. Has that improved since the days of pickups driving through tents after midnight, gunfire, men having to wield shotguns to defend their wife and kids from rock-throwing marauders, vehicle vandalism, trucks deliberately driving over rigs, etc? (If you think Im kidding, guess again. Ive witnessed much of that and heard first-hand accounts from friends of the other incidences.)

Mike
jimlarsen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2000 12:19 am    Post subject: RE: Jones Beach Reply with quote

I have heard some of the same stories. It is an unregulated public beach on the Oregon side. I have been sitting on the beach when 4 wheelers start buzzing by at close range, but that is the worst I have experienced. I have never camped there. Lucky for me I live about 40 minutes away from the launch on the Washington side. I like ending the day with a little refreshment from the deck of my friends house right there at the river, then a short ride home. There is good safe camping 2 miles to the east or 10 miles to the west on the Washington side. Both options have riverfront camping and one occasionally has sailable wind. If you want to stay near Jones, I highly recommend either of those options.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2000 12:55 pm    Post subject: RE: Jones Beach Reply with quote

Sadly, I agree that camping elsewhere is much safer. But, MAN, I miss those mid-August days when I used to park at Jones, rig smaller sails as necessary, and never derig anything until I left after 10 days of nothing but sleeping, eating, and sailing. Its tough to complain about 6-12 hours a day, every day, on 5.x sails by mid-day and 3.x sails after suppertime, in the steadiest winds I have ever seen, on the finest beach on the Columbia, in air temps in the 70s day/50s night while Hood River busts a hunnert degrees most days and the water skiiers are out in force.

But fearing for my life sorts spoils it.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: