myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
AGM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AMueller

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2000 2:15 pm    Post subject: AGM Reply with quote

I CAN NOT EFFICIENTLY RIG MY BIC 298 VELOCE BOARD WITH MY 7.5 NORTH PYRO SAIL. I NEVER FEEL LIKE I AM DIALED IN TO THE RIGS CAPABILITIES. I USE THE 7.5 SAIL ON 15-20 KNOT DAYS. ALSO, I STUGGLE TO GET UP WIND. I AM CURRENTLY USING A 13.5 WEED FIN AND USE MAXIMUM DOWN HAUL. I AM A 190 POUND SAILER IN THE NJ BAYS. I AM OPEN TO ALL SUGGESTIONS REGARDING SAIL RIGGING; FIN SIZE, POSITION AND STYLE; MAST TRACK POSITION; BOOM HEIGHT; FOOT STRAP POSITION; HARNESS LINE POSITION, ETC.
wanda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2000 12:07 am    Post subject: RE: AGM Reply with quote

A Bic 298 is a big board. A 7.5 should work fine. I sail a 6.9 race sail on a 268 92 litre board, but I use a 15.5 fin with 50 sq. inches of area. Remember that sail sizes, in meters, and fin sizes, in centimeters, have an equal amount of effect on lift. If you need a weed fin in NJ, Choose one with enough surface area for a 7.5 sail. Note: check your mast stiffness for the sail; straps back; track back; short lines to stay upright upwind; do you have noodly booms?
fromIndy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2000 9:52 pm    Post subject: RE: AGM Reply with quote

I sail with a 97 bic veloce 310 and whenever I use my 7.5 and 8.5 I put on my 44cm curtis cr-10 fin.This size is great for going upwind,but this isnt a weed fin.They sale a 44cm weed though. MAST TRACK position is more toward front of board with about a inch of track showing.Maintain maxium downhall and experiment with BOOM HEIGHT (generaly around shoulder height); FOOT STRAP POSITION; HARNESS LINE POSITION, ETC.*****************
I CAN NOT EFFICIENTLY RIG MY BIC 298 VELOCE BOARD WITH MY 7.5 NORTH PYRO SAIL. I NEVER FEEL LIKE I AM DIALED IN TO THE RIGS CAPABILITIES. I USE THE 7.5 SAIL ON 15-20 KNOT DAYS. ALSO, I STUGGLE TO GET UP WIND. I AM CURRENTLY USING A 13.5 WEED FIN AND USE MAXIMUM DOWN HAUL. I AM A 190 POUND SAILER IN THE NJ BAYS. I AM OPEN TO ALL SUGGESTIONS REGARDING SAIL RIGGING; FIN SIZE, POSITION AND STYLE; MAST TRACK POSITION; BOOM HEIGHT; FOOT STRAP POSITION; HARNESS LINE POSITION, ETC.
paulkenyon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2000 6:17 pm    Post subject: RE: AGM Reply with quote

AMueller, would you discribe your stance on the board with the 7.5, please. I am having trouble with a 7.5 Neil Pryde V8. My stance is forward, rear leg straight and front bent as though I am trying to peer around the mast. Nothing I have done has helped and am strongly considering exchanging the sail. I liked the look of a friends 7.5 Pyro. If it too has problems you cant solve I will have to take that into consideration.
fromIndy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2000 10:11 pm    Post subject: RE: AGM Reply with quote

Does it seem like your sail is unstable when you first try to get powered up or when gust hit?
AMueller

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2000 8:20 am    Post subject: RE: AGM Reply with quote

The 7.5 North PYRO sail does not seem unstable until I am in overpowering wind. This is due to the maximum downhaul I always need to rig the sail efficiently. I feel like I am fighting the board and sail instead of planing along. I know the board should be performing better, but I can not figure out my problem. I know the PYRO is a good sail for the 298 Veloce and I am determined to make it work. Thank you for responding.
AMueller

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2000 8:33 am    Post subject: RE: AGM Reply with quote

Paul,
You did not mention the problem you are having?
My two problems are getting up wind and a feeling of struggle with the board and sail instead of efficiently planing. My stance is more balanced. I try to equally weight my feet on the board. You may be driving your back foot too hard and causing your board to slow down. I position myself forward as much as possible to get up wind. I believe a longer fin (15.5) with my 7.5 PYRO may solve my upwind problem and possibly make my board sail without a strugle.
paulkenyon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2000 5:34 pm    Post subject: RE: AGM Reply with quote

Amuller,

The problem is the stance I described. When planing, I find my body is straining forward...as though I were trying to go hard up wind. This is the only sail for which this is the case. My N.P. 6.5 V6, fully powered right up to the moment of over powering, is balanced in my hands and on my harness with my body square to the straps, both legs the same.

I also have a problem with the sail over powering easily. The powered up wind speed and the over powered wind speed, that wind speed where the center of pressure seems to shift in the sail, that speed which forces me to pull on my back hand, are very close. It was suggested down hauling that sail hard will solve that problem. I have sailed it with minimum down haul and down hauled down to the clue and between and, so far, find not much difference. So, I have also wondered about fins. I use a 15 TruAmes Weed Blade which I understand is plenty for it. I went around about board size, too. I have now been told I have exhausted the options and that clearly, I am unhappy with the sail and should exchange it if I can.
Hope this helps.
Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: