myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SF Bay area info please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
julianc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2000 8:43 am    Post subject: SF Bay area info please Reply with quote

I am coming on business to SF this week, but will have the weekend free to windsurf (15/16 July).

Can a Bay area local advise me where to sail.

I dont think I can get a rental car with roof rack so need to hire gear from a location from where I can launch (unless the rental company has racks too).

I am a good enough sailor so can manage pretty much any conditions, but would prefer in the Bay to on the Ocean.

Thanks in advance
windfind

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2000 11:47 am    Post subject: RE: SF Bay area info please Reply with quote

There is a link to a description of each Bay Area sailing site on the graph page for that site. There is also driving directions.
The best bet is to watch the North Bay and south Bay forecasts and then make your decison.

Mike Godsey
thewoody

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2000 2:03 pm    Post subject: RE: SF Bay area info please Reply with quote

Im not sure which ones exactly, but I know many board rental companies can set you up with a strap-on soft-rack thatll fit just about any rental car. Ive done this kind of thing in both Maui and Hatteras.

If you absolutely dont want to deal with transprting your rental gear (and thereby finding the days best wind), ASD (www.asdwindsurfing.com) at Coyote Pt. is located within easy walking distance of the water. This is a very consistent site, but if you only have one weekend I wouldnt want to try to bet on killer winds.

For a complete list of shops that rent, go to the SFBA site (www.sfba.org) and click on the SHOPS link. The information here can be a bit dated, but its a good place to start.

Have a good trip!

-JDS
plumeria

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2000 7:13 pm    Post subject: RE: SF Bay area info please Reply with quote

I have just started windsurfing but the areas I know where you can rent for sure (because Ive been there) are :
Alemeda
Berkeley
Shoreline (small lake in Mountain View)
Coyote Pt
Candlestick (on weekends)

Check this website for more details on the exact locations of these places (except Shoreline)

Im pretty sure that you could from other places, but dont know for sure...

have fun

peter

p.s. I guess you are a fellow Brit - the hire gear is a give-away Smile
In the US you only can hire people!
plumeria

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2000 7:15 pm    Post subject: RE: SF Bay area info please Reply with quote

sorry - forgot to mention that Alemeda is only weekends too I think

peter
julianc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2000 3:48 am    Post subject: Thanks for the info Reply with quote

Thanks everbody for the info - so now I pray for wind.

Peter - dead right - two countries separated only by a common language.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: