myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Vacation Rental Ban in Hood River?!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starfish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. I am a poor working blue collar guy. I work 50 hours a week. Just to live the dream. Please staying in fucking marin.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, this little catfight started with your attack on your former homeland(my current home)...I have nothing love for the Gorge, inspite of the cranky residents Very Happy
starfish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record I was born in san fran. right by crissy field. I have earned the right to hate california Very Happy
jota

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll risk wading in here: Starfish is saying maybe we shouldn't be trying so desperately to attract tourists. Tourism is a minor part of the local economy here, believe it or not, and it doesn't pay family-wage jobs the way a lot of our other industry and businesses do. And the influx of ambling tourists does detract from the quality of life in many ways. Sure, we should welcome tourists and their contribution to the community to a certain extent, but should we advertise ourselves as aggressively as we do? Do you know a portion of the hotel tax (TRT) is dedicated to advertising to attract more tourists?

If the tourist influx degrades the quality of life here, it might become harder to attract family-wage industry and businesses.

That's different than saying we should resent people who actually move here, whether from Marin or wherever. At least their houses, whether owned or rented, are occupied year round, they pay local taxes, support local businesses, and hopefully support the community through volunteerism and - even more hopefully - by being awesome locals (whether they moved here last year or in the '80s).
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many here remember the mid-80s Time Magazine (IIRC) article about how windsurfing saved this dying logging town's economy by bringing in HUGE tourist dollars. Of course, it could be argued that its main effect was driving real estate prices (and thus property taxes) out of reach for many residents.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jota wrote:
I'll risk wading in here: Starfish is saying maybe we shouldn't be trying so desperately to attract tourists. Tourism is a minor part of the local economy here, believe it or not, and it doesn't pay family-wage jobs the way a lot of our other industry and businesses do. And the influx of ambling tourists does detract from the quality of life in many ways. Sure, we should welcome tourists and their contribution to the community to a certain extent, but should we advertise ourselves as aggressively as we do? Do you know a portion of the hotel tax (TRT) is dedicated to advertising to attract more tourists?

If the tourist influx degrades the quality of life here, it might become harder to attract family-wage industry and businesses.

That's different than saying we should resent people who actually move here, whether from Marin or wherever. At least their houses, whether owned or rented, are occupied year round, they pay local taxes, support local businesses, and hopefully support the community through volunteerism and - even more hopefully - by being awesome locals (whether they moved here last year or in the '80s).

Jota,

"We" don't "advertise ourselves." The Chamber of Commerce and numerous local businesses who benefit greatly from tourism advertise themselves and it is entirely appropriate. Many have built legitimate and thriving businesses that rely heavily on visitors who come to enjoy the same things that attracted me and you to this area. No matter how you measure it..., local business that relies largely on out of town clientele is just as legit as those that don't, and I encourage anybody who has the vinegar to start and succeed at either.

Sometimes I wonder about the whole "we need jobs that pay family wages" thing. Seems to me that in order to fully deliver on that requirement, large scale manufacturing plants and the like need to be built which would be an even bigger quality-of-life detractor than anything some weekenders can cause. Water bottling plants anyone? Maybe a mine or two?

To an extent, it's just like anywhere in the good 'ol USA = Everything has a cost. If you want to live here..., you figure out how to make it work. If you can't, you go somewhere else, which is why the great majority of people live in bigger cities - because there is more opportunity there - and there always will be. If higher paying jobs are the most important thing to you..., you live in a bigger city and visit Hood River on the weekends until you can figure out how to make it work otherwise.

Personally, I'd rather the bigger city comes to Hood River on vacation than for Hood River to become the bigger city anytime soon.

With the influx of innovative and dynamic people who are motivated by the natural benefits our area presents..., in time, and with governance, Hood River is going to grow well. The challenge will be in managing that growth without diminishing that quality-of-life thing you mention too much Smile.

Until, then...

CU Salin'

trenthightower

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an article recently by Arthur Babitz that referenced a study commissioned by the city council (hood River). According to the study, Tourism is responsible for only 6% of the economy of Hood River County. I was surprised to learn that it was that low.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trenthightower wrote:
I read an article recently by Arthur Babitz that referenced a study commissioned by the city council (hood River). According to the study, Tourism is responsible for only 6% of the economy of Hood River County. I was surprised to learn that it was that low.

OTOH, some promoters consider growth a good thing for its own sake. They don't understand (or don't care) that many, maybe most, people of small towns actually LIKE small towns. As I've moved around the country for school, career, and better windsurfing, I've watched far too many sleepy neighborhoods or whole towns go to hell, by my criteria, because of sprawl, influx, and, in Utah, birth rate.
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one who visited for 15 years (Hood River) and now a 5 year resident I believe there should be some control on short term rentals. Long term rentals become part of the community and tend to look after the property. Short term rentals only care about how much fun they are going to have. That tends to take a nice friendly quiet neighborhood and change it into something else. That isn't fair to the residents. It also isn't good for the value of the home for owners.

Also as one who visited for 15 years staying a month at a time I only camped and the long term campers were the only ones there mid week (we hated the weekenders). So my impact on the community was zero. I shopped and ate bringing money to local businesses but had no impact to the residential areas.

So I m somewhat biased in my views.....
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shifting some of the property tax burden onto vacation rentals is something most home owners can get behind. It seems to be working well on Kauai, still plenty of vacation rentals it's just that every other house isn't being turned into one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: